Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Pissing me off - people abusing the historic rego scheme and explicitly those that are supposed to be an upstanding member of the community.

In SA you are not permitted to use your historically registered car for hire or reward. And truely you are not supposed to use your personal car for hire passenger transport unless licenced and registered to do so (taxis Ubers chauffeurs etc)

So when people post in local group asking for cars for their wedding for payment and people with club rego cars post up their cars it pisses me off. People like this will be what ends or tightens the rules for club rego. It took a bloody long time for change in SA and twats out to make a buck without spending money piss me off.

And when you are a former councillor you are supposed to be an upstanding member of the community. Pull ya head in.

If you want to be paid to use your cars in weddings, pay the rego fees, the licence fee and the correct insurance. Don’t ruin **** for the rest of us.

There is a reason wedding car hire companies charge what they do for events.
Yep, I just paid for 3 years rego for the VR for less than what it costs to rego my daily for 3 months. I appreciate the scheme so much as I don't drive the car enough to justify the normal cost of rego.
oePWZOW.png

I get 90 days a year on this scheme of which I'm averaging about 25 at best.

But I too am seeing so many trying to abuse the system that it worries me the state government is going to turn around and go "this is more trouble than it's worth".

Much like everything in the car scene, this is why we can't have nice things.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
both being of the same high standard
Agree with what you say except the term “high standard” when used with “house build” seems like an oxymoron. That’s especially true when considering most house builds often struggle to meet minimum AS/NZ standards :p:p:p

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's easy for me to say being a bricklayer, I would most definitely build a pizza oven better than Losh’s, for obvious reasons. However, I would still do plenty of homework as to what are the easiest and most effective ways of doing so.
Researching and sourcing the right materials from the start could save you a whole lot of heartache later. Knowing that your efforts are going to fulfil your needs, goes a long way in my opinion. To put in 60 to 80 hours, as Losh has indicated, not to mention many trips to find materials such as bricks and sand etc, and ultimately knowing that all your hard work may not withstand the rigours for which it was built because you possibly cheaped out on said materials, is obviously false economy.

A car you spend lots of time and a fortune on with the best of intentions to keep it on the road and running as effectively as possible is fine. But a pizza oven that may not heat properly costing you more money in fuel, or may crack or even collapse because you cheaped out on the process and the materials is not, in my honest opinion.
If it collapses in the next 20 years, you'll be the first to know. I built my first 20 years ago and when I last saw that house on the market just a couple of years ago my pizza oven was in the listing photos. So the ones I build last at least 15 years that I know of and with each build I get better at it. The friends one I mentioned above is a prefab and it doesn't get as hot as mine nor retain heat as well. So to me that says something about the kit pizza ovens.
BTW I have no doubt you could build one better than mine too. It's to be expected of a qualified bricklayer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
:p:pIt's easy for me to say being a bricklayer, I would most definitely build a pizza oven better than Losh’s, for obvious reasons. However, I would still do plenty of homework as to what are the easiest and most effective ways of doing so.
Researching and sourcing the right materials from the start could save you a whole lot of heartache later. Knowing that your efforts are going to fulfil your needs, goes a long way in my opinion. To put in 60 to 80 hours, as Losh has indicated, not to mention many trips to find materials such as bricks and sand etc, and ultimately knowing that all your hard work may not withstand the rigours for which it was built because you possibly cheaped out on said materials, is obviously false economy.

A car you spend lots of time and a fortune on with the best of intentions to keep it on the road and running as effectively as possible is fine. But a pizza oven that may not heat properly costing you more money in fuel, or may crack or even collapse because you cheaped out on the process and the materials is not, in my honest opinion.
Can’t discount the joy that people get in DIY, which to be honest is why most of us faff around with our cars and other projects (be they car related or even pizza ovens).

Really, life isn’t just about $$ (and the chase to minimise spend) when it’s something for yourself and something you get pleasure from.

And I’m sure there are lots of members who were crap at working on cars when they first started but now some are more skilled than a few professional mechanics I’ve met :p it’s more than money, can’t put a price on people doing the thinks they like (which often includes hunter gatherer activities) ;)

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
had a nice pizza at varsity last week. $29 though. nothing is cheap nowadays

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I work less hours now so I can spend more time doing stuff I enjoy, rather than being at the grind five days a week. So I guess my time is not worth as much as someone who works a full week as I have more spare time than many.

Keep thinking about the ‘value of time’, it is definitely something worthwhile learning and appreciating. There is another saying that goes ”if you don’t value your own time, no one else will either”.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It's cheaper to make a phone call and have it delivered to site on a pallet.
No ******* around mixing ****. Also I have a manufacturers warranty to fall back on vs making mixes up myself.
I pay like $8-9 a bag for basic stuff vs spending 2 hours of my time collecting materials and then someone an hour to mix **** up.
That makes sense for a job where the customer pays. Would the same apply if you were building one at home? If yes then you must own an expensive home, cause I certainly cant afford to buy everything precut and prebagged when working on my yard.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Keep thinking about the ‘value of time’, it is definitely something worthwhile learning and appreciating. There is another saying that goes ”if you don’t value your own time, no one else will either”.
I value my time, which is why I cut my hours at work so I could spend more time doing the stuff I enjoy, rather than being stuck at work 50hrs a week, going insane and having to pay tadies because I don't have time ro do outside work on the projects that help keep me sane.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I work on minimal budgets which means hunting out things that are much less than it would cost if I just went to the biggest rip off Bunnings and paid what they ask for stuff I need to do my projects, just because it's quicker and easier to be ripped off than hold out and wait for something to come up at a good price. Paying less for the same thing is another thing I enjoy doing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Funny, I read he could have saved 10 minutes....So where is the other 80 minutes you speak of?
Yes, it took me nearly 20mins to get there as I went the old way through the busy burbs. On the way back it was under 10 mins because they were actually just off the new highway. The distance was about the same just no traffic on the way back until I hit Town.