Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Think i fkd up

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yea at the cost of 8 more head bolts i was able to take off one side and make sure it was fine

Seems odd to me that a gasket marketed as OEM has a change in the design (hence the cause of my confusion)

Im still learning as i go but so far everything is looking really good

Thank you and thank everyone for there help

I tend to over think and stress a lot about things that i am a noob at

I can't remember the head bolt spec but are they torque to yeild? My boss just orded some on a 4y toyo engine I did today but the spec was 50nm, 65nm, 88nm so reusable.

I have a sneaky way to reuse torque to yeild bolts but you need a digital torque wrench.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Yea at the cost of 8 more head bolts i was able to take off one side and make sure it was fine

You didn't mention the cost of a head gasket so thought I'd mention, up to you but I queried my engine machinist in regards to re-torquing head gaskets. He didn't recommend it. It might be perfectly fine but for the cost of a stock head gasket, personally I wouldn't risk it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You didn't mention the cost of a head gasket so thought I'd mention, up to you but I queried my engine machinist in regards to re-torquing head gaskets. He didn't recommend it. It might be perfectly fine but for the cost of a stock head gasket, personally I wouldn't risk it.

It will be fine.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I can't remember the head bolt spec but are they torque to yeild? My boss just orded some on a 4y toyo engine I did today but the spec was 50nm, 65nm, 88nm so reusable.

I have a sneaky way to reuse torque to yeild bolts but you need a digital torque wrench.

What's a toyota engine got to do with a commodore engine?

Doesn't matter what sort of torque wrench is used....A bolt that has been torqued up, has been torqued up and if it is torque to yield, the torque yield has been reached, which means the bolt should be replaced....So this means you are doing substandard work, or short cutting which goes against everything you say about yourself

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What's a toyota engine got to do with a commodore engine?

Doesn't matter what sort of torque wrench is used....A bolt that has been torqued up, has been torqued up and if it is torque to yield, the torque yield has been reached, which means the bolt should be replaced....So this means you are doing substandard work, or short cutting which goes against everything you say about yourself

On a customers car I would use new bolts.
On my car I have an electronic torque wrench which tells you the torque reached on an angle setting.

A bolts yelid is not it's strain point. a bolt can return to yeild many times before fatigue occurs. Infact some torque setting give you a maximum bolt length before torquing a bolt.
You obviously do not understand what yeild is and how torque to yield bolts work.
AVE and Eric the car guy have videos on torque to yeild bolts if you want to learn. Also the Driveway Engineer has a video on reusing TTY bolts.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
On a customers car I would use new bolts.
On my car I have an electronic torque wrench which tells you the torque reached on an angle setting.

A bolts yelid is not it's strain point. a bolt can return to yeild many times before fatigue occurs. Infact some torque setting give you a maximum bolt length before torquing a bolt.
You obviously do not understand what yeild is and how torque to yield bolts work.
AVE and Eric the car guy have videos on torque to yeild bolts if you want to learn. Also the Driveway Engineer has a video on reusing TTY bolts.

So now it's gone from being sneeky to only doing it on your own car....Bit of contradiction there.

Electronic torque wrenches or not, a normal $30 torque wrench still prevents you from over torquing a bolt, providing it is set where you want it.....

It also appears as though you only use your fancy torque wrench on your own car and stuff the customers car

So a TTY bolt can be used multiple times, why is it recommended to change them once they have been used?

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
So now it's gone from being sneeky to only doing it on your own car....Bit of contradiction there.

Electronic torque wrenches or not, a normal $30 torque wrench still prevents you from over torquing a bolt, providing it is set where you want it.....

It also appears as though you only use your fancy torque wrench on your own car and stuff the customers car

So a TTY bolt can be used multiple times, why is it recommended to change them once they have been used?
Obviously The bolts and gaskets haven't been subjected to any strain and excessive heat since the engine is yet to be started and run.
So where do you get/buy $30 torque wrenches, thought cheap as chips closed down dinosaurs years ago :rolleyes:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Obviously The bolts and gaskets haven't been subjected to any strain and excessive heat since the engine is yet to be started and run.
So where do you get/buy $30 torque wrenches, thought cheap as chips closed down dinosaurs years ago :rolleyes:

How do you know the TTY bolts Shane was talking about weren't subjected to any of those things? Have you been there when he has done this on every occasion? After all, it started by him referring to a Toyota engine

Bought my torque wrench from sprints...Do you know where they are and if they exist? Oh and it still works just as good now as the day I bought it 10 years ago and 6 engines later....And no I didn't touch that dud I got from you....

Last edited: