Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
hey won't help a whole lot if you hit a wombat
I remember as a kid my uncle told me as an interstate truck driver that he'd laugh at hitting roo's (not literally) but wombats would make his arse pucker, especially if on the rear wheels.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I did some research into Shoo Roos and I found this CSIRO study into it, apparently it isn't quite effective.

[/URL][/URL]

I'm tempted with the smart bar but I'm worried I won't be able to look at my clubsport with the same level of affection afterwards because of how it will look.

[/URL][/URL]

Smart bar or busted car ?

It would only be on for the trip any way, yes ?

I hope the borders open up to make the bar worthwhile.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Did you do any research on the $6.00 plastic style ones
they must do something I haven't got a roo this year , there are heaps of them some places I go. Kangaroos are a stupid animal that likes to graze on the side of the road at sundown avoid driving in twilight hours .

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Even if they don't do anything, those little plastic scarers are a good placebo. I don't like talking about hitting roos ( Murphy's Law and all that ) but I have hit a few locally just driving to work in the dark, no scarers.
But I have done a lot of Commodore outback touring during the past 10 years with no problems (yet). Just by not driving at night, only good daylight hours, cuts your chances of an incident. ( If you see a wedgetail eagle feeding on road kill, you give way to them as they won't just fly away.)
Good onya for wanting to spend the $$$ in Straya, but I would recommend not driving Broome > Darwin > Cairns during summer months. Most of the tourist attraction places are closed, and you could miss out on something that you really wanted to see.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Broome > Darwin > Cairns during summer months

Interesting, too hot?

One day will definitely do a trip like this I think. Would be really good fun, but for now will do little patches.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Interesting, too hot?

Not that hot that you would die in the desert like Burke and Wills, (well, you could if you wanted to be unprepared and foolish) but hot enough to make tourists stay away, and be uneconomical to remain open.
We were in Darwin late October last year, off a small cruise ship, and the place was not as crowded as during the winter months.
Not impossible to do it, just as a road trip, to say that you did it.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Would recommend staying away from up north during the Oct-Feb time.
Spent some time up that way and when they say "Wet Season" its true. Lots of rain even if only for 30mins at a time.
Although the Thunderstorms are awesome to marvel at it was stupid hot and if coastal, very wet and sticky.
There is a reason people go during Winter, because of the dry season and less likely some roads will be closed.

Have dealt with Roos and similar near home and you learn how to look out for them, scan the horizons and slow down.
They are really dumb animals.
Animals graze roadside as its where the water and food is, mainly being at dawn and dusk which is also not the best time for road visuals.
So you could plan the days driving not at those times it would be more ideal.

Any deterrent is better than none though.
Some family have done countless trips around Aus with no issue, no detterents or anything else, so it does come down to bad luck at times.

You should see some wonderful sights though.
Have been all over (except Tassie) for Work and sports and there are some great places to visit.

Reactions: Lex