Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thinking bild ..

crappyVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN exc
hey guys ,

i just picked up a nissan version on the RB30 , for free , it was running i guess , is the nissan head better than the holden labeld heads or summin ?? should i do a head change ? or is the block different too ? let me know if this just sounds stupid but if the nissan motors that were in the skylines putt out more KW's , i would thnink the head is different in some way or cam or summin ??

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Don't think there's any difference.maybe the rocker cover is difrent

crappyVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN exc
really but the skyline , motor has more kw's ?? thats wat wiki says

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
yea had like 5 or 10 kw more had to do with the tune .. there exactly the same motor except one has nissan on the rocker cover.. holden was broke when the vl came out and couldnt afford to keep up a production of the rb30 so they ended up just importing them straight from the nissan factory.. i have owned a few r31s and alot of vls there aint that much power difference.. 5 speed r31 is far more fun to drive then a vl lol

crappyVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN exc
allrite smash ma hopes lol i thought the head might be better or summin ...so i have a spare engine then lol i need a turbo to slap on ma motor now it doesnt matter if i blow it lol

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
The head of the nissan RB30 probably is better (condition) than most VL ones.

The head of the RB30 in the VL (or rather, the highest water jacket in the VL) sits higher than
the top of the radiator, so when filling up the coolant, if you don't do it properly you'll get an
air lock in the cooling system, if left too long it will lead to a cracked head.

The skyline RB30's didnt suffer from this problem as the top of the radiator was the highest
part of the cooling system.

So use the Skyline head as you know its most likely that it hasnt overheated in its life, and
therefore in better condition :)

crappyVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN exc
so guys who wants to buy a VL with an extra motor ??? i got a VN now thats built so no games here ... any takers ?