Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of buying a Lumina...

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
OK you guys...talk me into buying a new Lumina...:D

I visited the local Holden stealership, and checked out the latest offer on the new Lumina...$32,990, or about $33,400 with metallic paint, but it includes 18" alloy wheels, air con, bluetooth phone do-hickey, rear parking sensors, and some body trim bits.

What attracted me was the fact that you would have to be some sort of plonker to go for a base model Omega, which has steel wheels, and NO frickin' air conditioning (what, in 2007 it isn't standard in a car worth this much? When even the poxiest Korean sh1tbuckets have air con standard? Back to the '70's for Holden or what...), and the basic car costs you about $34,500...plus an extra $100 if you want something other than the stupid space-saver spare...plus $2000 for air con if you don't actually want to drive around in summer with the windows down sweating like a pig...:bang:

So, apart from the fact you apparently can't get that fantastic new light green metallic on the Lumina deal, and it looks like it is only equipped with the 4-speed auto instead of being able to get a five or six speed manual, we are finding ourselves very attracted to this car...we figure that by now most of the major bugs would have been sorted out, or at least discovered by the people who rushed out and bought the first-of-the-model cars way back when, so it isn't as much of an unknown quantity. I suppose I could do a bit of haggling and find out about the possibility of other paint colors than the five or six ones quoted in the brochure, and maybe the gearbox as well...I don't like my chances though seeing as how it is a special offer...

All I think I need is a gentle shove...so talk me into it...what are VE's really like to live with on a day to day, trundle around town, lug the shopping home, leasurely weekend drive basis...? Not to mention what sort of fuel economy can I expect out of a 180kw Alloytec with a four speed auto...much more than I'm getting out of our VX-II Lumina with Ecotec and four speed auto? I was going to say "only 180kw", but then it wasn't all that long ago that five-liter SS Commodores and Clubsports proudly were badged "185kw"...

Last edited:

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
Can't help you out with respect to your engine etc as I have the V8 but previous to buying the SSV, I had a Ford XR6 which was a good car also but does not compare in regards to looks, handling and technology. The decision is very personal and although I drove a Ford, my decision was based on the car and not the make.
But I do love the V8!!!!!!!!

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
What attracted me was the fact that you would have to be some sort of plonker to go for a base model Omega, which has steel wheels, and NO frickin' air conditioning (what, in 2007 it isn't standard in a car worth this much? When even the poxiest Korean sh1tbuckets have air con standard? Back to the '70's for Holden or what...), and the basic car costs you about $34,500...plus an extra $100 if you want something other than the stupid space-saver spare...plus $2000 for air con if you don't actually want to drive around in summer with the windows down sweating like a pig...:bang:

Yes you would have to be right fool to buy the Omega over the Lumina, but remember that the Lumina is a special deal that isn't available all year throughout the range. Omegas are usually targetted at fleets and other people who can normally negotiate a better deal. The air-conditioning is a moot point, just try an order one without it, its essentially a marketing exercise to have a lower price point in the market without it.

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
:whistling
I took delivery of my VE Lumina about a month ago and have only done about 1300 Km's in that time, 200 Km's of which were on a reasonable run. Most of my driving is done going to and from work-10 to 15 minutes drive.
Bearing that in mind I am a little dissapointed in the economy. I previously had since new, a VY Berlina series 2 doing the same K's and personally thought the economy was better.
However before you blokes (and blokettes) jump down my throat I have not yet given it a fair dinkum chance.
All that being said I reckon without a doubt it is the best car I have owned and driven. Including mercs etc.
It gets up and runs quick, quiet and smooth. I'm still sorting the best air pressure for the tyres. The placard says 36 PSI but it feels like Fred Flintstones car with 36. I dropped it to 30PSI all round and had to carry six bags of potting mix about 20 K's along the M5 and it felt real sloppy in the a**e end. So i've put them up to 33 and so far feels great.
Accelerating out of corner and roundabouts it just sits down and goes very nicely.
Immediately after purchase I replaced all the speakers with 6" splits in the front and better quality rears and improved the audio quality beyond the cost. As I had Freddies mods on the VY I am waiting with bated breath for him to develop something for the VE.
So all in all I'm very impressed with the value for money of the Lumina and for the difference in price definately do not regret the purchase.
Hope that helps - if I can help you into a new one I'll be watching this thread.
P.S. I even test drove an Aurion-what a waste of time!!
Regards Keith.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Let it run in! Sheesh... Good economy won't happen for at least the first 5000km. And certainly not doing short runs only.

vykeith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 2007
:thumbsup:Yep! Thanks, thats exactly the response I expected regarding economy and thats why there was a sort of covering note built in.
Quite frankly I am expecting better economy than the ecotec as time and K's move on and I dont remember what the economy has been like in my previous cars at these K's.
The main point is that I doubt you could be dissapointed with the overall performance of the car-it is that much better to drive than a VY.
Keith.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
I realise this post is a little old but I haven't been on here in months! I bought a Lumina about 4 months ago, have spent a little over $15,000 on it! I know that is crazy I could have bought a SSV! But I've only just turned 20 so insurance would have been a killer and also don't trust myself with a V8 yet (especially the new ones!!!). So anyway I love the car! My only little niggling issue is its a little slow off the mark, I have put Pacemaker extractors on and a 2.5inch exhaust but I also got 20inch wheels so I think they have taken a little power from it down low. The ESP is realy safe! You can be turning a sharp corner and drop it back to 1st and plant your foot, you feel the slightest slip in the rear end but then the ESP warning come up on the dash and it settles everything down again while still accellerating at the same rate as before it kicked in. Unlike traction control in the older commodores where it would just back off the power for you. Anyway below are some pictures. I have had it lowered even further since taking the pics (it had King Spring Lows in the pics) I since then have had them taken off and Pedders SL's put on, sits much better now! And before I get any comments about the wheels being very common. I realise they are very common in VIC and NSW but up here in QLD I have only ever seen them on 1 other car they are very rare up here and everyone that has seen my car to date the first thing they comment on are the wheels, they all say how nice they look. So here are a couple of photo's of what a lumina could look like if you wanted to spend the money. I've probably gone a bit overboard but I think it looks great! For those that are interested a few things I have done are: 6 Stack Cd Player, Leather sports steering wheel, satin chrome door handles, alloy pedals, alarm upgrade, SSV tail lights, Pacemaker Extractors & 2.5" exhaust, Pedders SuperLow springs, 20" Wheels, $6000 stereo upgrade, paint and interior protection...These are the majority of mods I have done to the stock Lumina. Only other plans are Cold Air Induction and Tune and a tweak to the program in the Auto to make it shift a little harder and faster and try and get some of the power off the mark back.

So YES I think you should buy a Lumina!!! It is a great car! Looks very nice handles very well. I have also debadged it aswell and the other day I was at a shopping centre carpark and was walking towards my car to get in and go home and this guy was looking through the window of my car and then walking up and down it looking at the wheels and the whole car in general. I came up behind him and unlocked the car and he got a fright, I think he was embarrassed i caught him looking so hard. He then asked what is it? and I said a VE Commodore and he then replied oh a commodore and walked off and got into his Lexus. He obviously thought it was some expensive European car. Which the VE's do, they look like a BMW or something I'm not sure what it is but I LOVE them!!!

Attachments

• DSC01490.JPG
    DSC01490.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC01495.JPG
    DSC01495.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 480
  • DSC01499.JPG
    DSC01499.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 398
  • DSC01503.JPG
    DSC01503.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 395

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
The car is looking great mate, well done :thumbsup:

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
yeah that looks very nice mate, love the color...

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
yeah cheers guys, I'm probably going to start up a my ride thread in the next week or so now that i'm on holidays for a couple of weeks, I should have some spare time to do it.

Not sure if Wombat is still looking to get a Lumina? I was told when I bought mine that there was no more being made after the end of september, they would no longer be Lumina's available (unless the dealers still have a few sitting around they haven't sold yet).

The 4spd gear box put me off a little aswell but it is alot better than in the previous models.