Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thinking of buying new VE feedback would be appreciated

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Mel83
Your article has just made me want to purchase a ss sportswagon and trade in the Vz wagon V6. Just need to convince the Wife.

If you do test drive one make sure you get your wife to check out reversing in it. Not difficult by any means but may have a more restricted view than in your Vz. (I've never driven a Vz wagon so I can't compare). One thing though, I would certainly be looking for reversing sensors on any vehicle I buy next time. Great value.

I just realised I did fib in that last post of mine and I have had one gliche. Half way up the central coast of NSW I called into a car wash and used one of those pressure, sprays later finding the tailgate touchpad playing up. Not opening and then half opening when the open button was pressed. This was caused by water ingression apparently via the rear chrome strip and cured by dropping both number plate lights (a one second job, just unclips down) and using a hair dryer up the hole either side for 10 minutes or so. I've washed the car several times since being careful with how much water goes around the strip and had no further problem.

I must say its no wonder the QLD government is on the nose with its residents seeing as it costs a tad over $1000 to register a V8 up there. As governments have found out before, you don't have to ban something to get rid of it, just put the price up and make it unaffordable. In 5 weeks being in the Sunshine state I only saw one other SS sportswagon which is any wonder.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Some good reviews here guys, and yes I agree the VE is a great car which is why i own one. But to all the people who seem to think the blind spot aka pillar is not a problem cos you just move your neck well hmmm if you know something is there or are approaching a corner then yeah maybe but there are loads of other situations where things can sneak up on you which you can't see which you would have easily seen and avoided in a VS for example. You don't drive around contantly rocking back and forwards checking for surprises do you ? Its never the car/truck/ bus/ horse that you see that kills ya...

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I originally owned a VX SS. Had the standard bolt on mods. Was also Lowered, brakes done up etc etc. did 220RWKW

I decided to purchase an 06 SSV Manual sedan as the old girl was getting a little long in the tooth.

It is magnificent. It's currently Stock. It handles just as well, if not better than the VX, goes harder, has more room (I'm 6'6") and has comparable fuel econemy.

The Interior I found to be really good. The Leather seats were comfy, and the integrated Climate control/Radio/Stereo to be cool, although I had to read the manual to find out what all the features were. The only thing I don't like about the interior is the Battery charge/Oil pressure guage at the top. Its pointless. I'd rather a big clock or something more relevent to go there, although I have heard this is the case in the HSV's.

It goes hard. The 6.0L is magnificent, has soooooo much torque. The old 5.7 you really had to rev before it gave you heaps of power, but the 6L revs happily and gives you ample power and torque so much lower in the rev range than the previous engine.

And It looks awesome.

Buy one, and go the 6L. You wont regret it. Manual/Auto up to you, I got mine 2nd hand, 50,000Kms for only 30grand. There are some bargains 2nd hand if you want to go that route.

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
If you choose the ssv as mentioned prob 90% of ppl say you need a tune to make it feel smooth i went through hell with Holden at first cause of a the throttle response and transmission shift but after that it make a massive difference you feel like your driving an eight cant comment on sv6 prob depends do u want a 6 or 8 and naturally funds

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
i'll post up what i noticed today in a 20min test drive ! (2010 SS auto)...

box, smooth and quiet but laggy ! takes too long to kick down and then kicked down 2 gears ! one would have sufficed !
interior, plain but i like that, its a drivers car, not a tarts handbag and all the toys worked nice and easy to use !
nice refined drive/ride , went hard and with 5 of us in it , rattled past 140 in a blink of an eye (private road ;)....
pillars, not a problem really, if you have a crash, the airbags in them are a welcome addition !
cloth seats, crappy feel so we opted for leather ! :)
boot is big enough and the look of the car is awsome ! looks mean and sounds bloody awsome !

hence why we put out deposit down on one today(SS 6sp Manual ) ! yippee !!!!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
i'll post up what i noticed today in a 20min test drive ! (2010 SS auto)...

box, smooth and quiet but laggy ! takes too long to kick down and then kicked down 2 gears ! one would have sufficed !
interior, plain but i like that, its a drivers car, not a tarts handbag and all the toys worked nice and easy to use !
nice refined drive/ride , went hard and with 5 of us in it , rattled past 140 in a blink of an eye (private road ;)....
pillars, not a problem really, if you have a crash, the airbags in them are a welcome addition !
cloth seats, crappy feel so we opted for leather ! :)
boot is big enough and the look of the car is awsome ! looks mean and sounds bloody awsome !

hence why we put out deposit down on one today(SS 6sp Manual ) ! yippee !!!!

Congratulations, mate. You'll love it! A tune will fix the issues with the gearbox whether you have other mods or not.

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
bought a manual mate ! couldnt live with the auto ! ...well i could, but i like to change gear when i want lol...

edit !!!!! what tune to the box ?? can you tune out the lag and shitty changing ?

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
ran a 330 bhp sti 555 impreza (rally homologated same as colin mcraes car) and ran a skyline r33 for a year so i like plenty of poke ! the SS surely had that and sounded awsome ! if it can be remapped to throw out more ponies then i would have to oblige as long as its not a strain on the box and fairly priced ! possibly a set of pipes to let it breath but hey, it isnt even built yet lol.....

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
That's a couple of impressive cars right there. The SS is a fun piece of kit, no doubt but it's choked at the factory by restrictive exhaust manifolds and a turbulent intake system. Even if you just an OTR, some good headers, cats and a good cat back system... Then give it a tune, it let's the car run how it should have from the factory. Worth every penny. Really just frees everything up so it works like it should. You'll be amazed at the difference.