Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of buying vz

jayvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt exec series 2
Thinking of buying vz s ute.

Does anybody know of any common problems
I should be aware of or a better suggestion.
My limit is 15k.

Cheers. Jay

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
imo i would go for a low km standard version, (standard version offers cheaper tyre replecaement)as new as a vz can get, i have a 2007 wagon and its given us a very good run. purchase price with 12months rego was $12,500 with 140k km on the clock. find a car thats been serviced, low km and has been kept away from the ocean. mines from canberra. i purchased it at auction in sydney. dont buy from a car yard, i'll take ya extra cash if ya want to give it away: ). always buy and sell privately, avoid rouge dodgy dealerships. they will want 30% more than private or auction and there warrantee isnt worth the paper its written on.

Happy Car Hunting.

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
a VZ is good choice , I've had two VZ's and am happy with them ,I prefer them to VE,s 15K should get you something decent, try for a one owner with service history and take your time looking cause something good will pop up.

cheers Pete

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Common problems with the vz range are timing chain cover oil leaks, the usual castor rod bushes, radiator cap, ecu failure, tailshaft couplings, thermostat housing leaks, and the normal timing chain rattle on cold starts. If I were u, buy an sv6 06, they are the newer engines and gearbox and run like a dream. The 175kw engines are a gutless piece that will only disappoint, at least the sv6 has a bit more go and the shorter ratios in the 5 speed auto make it feel quicker too. Downside of the vz is the throttle lag due to the drive by wire.

DjYalla

Reaction score
Members Ride
battler Vn is Battling
Regular oil changes are the key, If I owned one I'd change it every 5000. Holden with their 15000km once a year oil changes on a hydraulic oil tensioned timing chain that are epically long is just asking for trouble.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Common problems with the vz range are timing chain cover oil leaks, the usual castor rod bushes, radiator cap, ecu failure, tailshaft couplings, thermostat housing leaks, and the normal timing chain rattle on cold starts. If I were u, buy an sv6 06, they are the newer engines and gearbox and run like a dream. The 175kw engines are a gutless piece that will only disappoint, at least the sv6 has a bit more go and the shorter ratios in the 5 speed auto make it feel quicker too. Downside of the vz is the throttle lag due to the drive by wire.

Never noticed any throttle lag on my VZ compared to my old VY. Maybe it's an Auto thing?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Yeah I have to agree with the throttle lags on VZ, when I test drove three different VZs, they all had that shocking lag on take off and when planting it. It kinda thinks for a second before deciding to take off.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Even when moving they lag. Hell it laged when I had boost too. It just doesn't seem to know what gear it should be in

neobristol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
a VZ is good choice , I've had two VZ's and am happy with them ,I prefer them to VE,s 15K should get you something decent, try for a one owner with service history and take your time looking cause something good will pop up.

cheers Pete

Definitely take your time. I knew I wanted a silver vz wagon with factory LPG, I was looking for about a year when my car popped up (3 years ago) it only had 19,990km on the clock with full Holden service history I did pay a premium for it, but talked the dealer into 3 years GM gold global warranty for free, it's already saved me 3k in repairs

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Yeap that drive by the wire gives you a dangerous lag when pulling out in a hurry.