Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of upgrading to a VE.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
With longer highway trips like Sydney to Brisbane my AFM auto SS does just under 9 l/100Kms. Even if a non AFM V8 you would do about 10l/100Km for highway travel. For comparison on the highway with a VS V6 to V8, about 5 or 6 years ago I had a VS Exec and also a VX II 5.7 Calais. I drove the Calais, and my wife drove the VS to Tweed heads from Sydney and the fuel consumption was almost the same, the V8 did use a little more but there was practically nothing in it. I ran both the VS V6 and the 5.7 VX Calais on 91 fuel. My AFM SS will get a bit better fuel consumption on highway trips than my VS Exec did (VS Exec just under 10l/100Km on the highway for me). I also had a SIDI SV6 auto which I traded on the SS about a year ago, it would do less than 8.5 l/100km on the highway (maybe about 8.3) on 91 fuel. Personally there is nothing wrong with a V6, except the known timing chain issue for 06 and 07 and I think early 08 models. If you buy 2009 upwards you should be OK if it has good service history, the Alloytecs are known for sludging. Personally I'd suggest servicing it at least say 3 times over two year period (so 8 months apart) and do it at least that frequency or better especially if Kms are high. Also if you go for a V6 I think an SIDI from very late 09 is the go. The 3.6 SIDI (in SV6 or Calais) is 210KW and the auto is 6 speed. The 3.0 in lesser models is also 6 speed auto.

Pointless arguing about 1-2 L over years of ownership!

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
They're a totally different style of engine.

yep the VE will use 1/2 the fuel, loved my V8 VS statesman but then the Gen 3 came more power less fuel.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Very different engines. The 5l has very little power and is a gas guzzler by today's standards. The only good thing is the sound.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Fuel economy is almost irrelevant.

I always laugh when someone says 'we replaced the old car with this $18k 4 cylinder hatchback to save on fuel'

It will take 25 years of owning the new car to even break even on the difference in fuel economy...

I did have a used car salesman say to me once "a lot of money has been spent in the name of fuel economy". As for the time to break even I guess it depends on how extreme the difference in the cars plus the driving you do. As an example I drive in Sydney peak hour using a little Fiesta, I would drive at least 330Km a week in peak hour commute. The Fiesta does 7.0l/100Km. If I was to use my SS in this traffic it will at least double that fuel consumption, so with typical fuel prices I am saving $40 a week using the Fiesta ($2000 a year) compared to the SS, but if you compare a mid size 4 cyl especially if it's say a 2.5 litre 4 cyl compared to a six cylinder car then obviously that gap is a lot closer - my wife drives a Forester, I'm pretty sure that would do about 11 l/100km in the same traffic conditions and I have also used an SIDI SV6 for the same commute a few years back and it was reading typically about 12.7 l/100Km so not that much difference in that case (about 15% extra fuel). I think if you are buying a new car anyway, the economy of a new small hatch compared to a new 6 cyl is firstly in the purchase price (and for many the financing of that purchase by way of difference in interest on a $20k car to a $40K car) lets say $20K for an I30 to $40K for an new V6 Commodore. Then on top of that the I30 is going to use probably 2/3 the fuel of a V6 Commodore (lets say 8l/100km to 12l/100Km), and probably save $1000 a year in fuel. When you add up purchase price, finance, fuel, cheaper registration and transfer fee, the new small hatch saves plenty compared to a new 6cyl.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks to everyone that replied, I have now got some good knowledge about VE's were before hand I had absolutely nothing.
many thanks
Ron

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I did have a used car salesman say to me once "a lot of money has been spent in the name of fuel economy". As for the time to break even I guess it depends on how extreme the difference in the cars plus the driving you do. As an example I drive in Sydney peak hour using a little Fiesta, I would drive at least 330Km a week in peak hour commute. The Fiesta does 7.0l/100Km. If I was to use my SS in this traffic it will at least double that fuel consumption, so with typical fuel prices I am saving $40 a week using the Fiesta ($2000 a year) compared to the SS, but if you compare a mid size 4 cyl especially if it's say a 2.5 litre 4 cyl compared to a six cylinder car then obviously that gap is a lot closer - my wife drives a Forester, I'm pretty sure that would do about 11 l/100km in the same traffic conditions and I have also used an SIDI SV6 for the same commute a few years back and it was reading typically about 12.7 l/100Km so not that much difference in that case (about 15% extra fuel). I think if you are buying a new car anyway, the economy of a new small hatch compared to a new 6 cyl is firstly in the purchase price (and for many the financing of that purchase by way of difference in interest on a $20k car to a $40K car) lets say $20K for an I30 to $40K for an new V6 Commodore. Then on top of that the I30 is going to use probably 2/3 the fuel of a V6 Commodore (lets say 8l/100km to 12l/100Km), and probably save $1000 a year in fuel. When you add up purchase price, finance, fuel, cheaper registration and transfer fee, the new small hatch saves plenty compared to a new 6cyl.

Thats true. But people often replace a perfectly fine 5 year old car with a new one 'to save fuel'.

If they just said 'I want a new car' I wouldn't care. Just say you want a new car!

Woodsman444

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais sedan 2008
I've got a 07 Calais I used to love my car but I can tell you in my experience parts are expensive and hard to get because they have to match your car often and not every mechanic is qualified to fix them. I was told to get rid of mine and buy a good VZ V8 and that will last forever plus when it's time to repair it wont send you broke. I had a bad mechanic do my timing chains and my car has been off road for 10 months,mine is not common problem I don't think but I will never own another one.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV

Most people I know go and buy an Audi hatch or 'cheap' Golf. I rarely even see cheap hatches in supermarket car parks anymore, let alone old cars (apart form a handful od Camrys...). Even Gen Z is too cool to drive cheaper cars these days.

$35-40k later plus expenses they have a car that is a bit better on fuel than an average car.

Even in your extreme example of your V8 using double the fuel of a Fiesta, if their Euro hatches are using that little fuel it'll take what, 16-20 years to break even on fuel costs?

No-one keeps a shitty hatch for 20 years.

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
No-one keeps a shitty hatch for 20 years.

Best car I ever owned in terms or reliability, maintainability and overall costs was my 1986 KC Laser Ghia hatch. Purchased in 1990, retired it in 2012. Was still in impeccable daily driving condition but at 25 years of age parts were becoming a major problem, even for one of the biggest sellers of it's day. I do miss the old girl.

Everyone I know in the industry tells me VE's are very buggy and something to steer clear of. For me, I can't stand the the massive blind spots in the forward vision and the ridiculous height of the door sills and centre consoles, I just can't get comfortable in a VE. I reckon the Commodore's lost their personality after the VY.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Best car I ever owned in terms or reliability, maintainability and overall costs was my 1986 KC Laser Ghia hatch. Purchased in 1990, retired it in 2012. Was still in impeccable daily driving condition but at 25 years of age parts were becoming a major problem, even for one of the biggest sellers of it's day. I do miss the old girl.

Everyone I know in the industry tells me VE's are very buggy and something to steer clear of. For me, I can't stand the the massive blind spots in the forward vision and the ridiculous height of the door sills and centre consoles, I just can't get comfortable in a VE. I reckon the Commodore's lost their personality after the VY.
Admittedly visibility can be an issue in the VE for shorter drivers but in terms of refinement and reliability they are light years ahead of the VY.