Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of upgrading to VF Calais

tallman5353

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Karma VF Calais V6
Hi everyone,

Some background:

I purchased a VY II Calais Dual Fuel N/A V6 (@ 150k) back in 2013. It was/is my first car and hasn't given me much trouble. Been driving folks WH Statesman before that so driving wise it was a seamless transition.

----------------------------------

These days I've reached 220k in it and it is starting to feel a bit rattly and tired. There are also a few electrical gremlins which have bugged me and a few nicks and scuffs on the exterior.

Initially I was keen on getting a used 2015 Mazda 6 Touring, but on the test drive i realised it wouldn't work as my 6'10" frame is just a bit too big. Also missed the punchy rwd torque that the ol' ecotec provides. I then started to look at alternatives, the FG II Falcon driving position is a bit wierd (and the interior is kinda plain/dated) and that led me to the VF.

Budget is around 25-28k before trade-in so a 2014/15 VF Series I V6 would be the ticket at around 30-50k kms in prussian steel or some like it hot. I'd get the Calais V but not keen on paying loads more later for 19" tyres and also sacrificing ride quality/road noise. The FE1.5 of the VYII Calais while handles well is a little too rough for my liking, especially if any of you from SA who know Upper Sturt Road! FYI my commute is between Blackwood and Mount Barker, so there is a mix of twisties and hills freeway, around 33km each way.

Fuel economy wise i know I'm going to take a hit there as I'm used to the benefits of Dual Fuel, that's why i was keen on the Maz 6. However I can probably shoulder off that issue and just be a bit more frugal with the right pedal.

I did take a test with a VF Calais and was impressed with the overall drive, power delivery and handling was very familiar and then some which was enjoyable. Plenty of leg and headroom too! Would make an excellent cruiser. Interior wise the big cream dash strip and obvious polished metallic plastic bits were a bit gaudy, but I could get used to. Also not sure on the leather, as the VY had the cloth trim. Does the leather require any/much upkeep?

So just wondering if anyone out there has any experiences with the VF Calais and also what the longevity and servicing/upkeep/build quality would be like?

Apologies for the essay-like post, just want to be as informed as possible before handing over the hard earned. Would welcome any opinions and info.
-Cheers

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I sold my VF CalaisV series I at about 110k's due to upgrading to Redline. The Calais never gave me any trouble, I have a bad back and found the ride comfort good, even on the **** roads in south west Vic. First set of tyres lasted 60k, second set 45k. Cost $1350 to replace with OEM Bridgestones.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The Calais V ride is very compliant. Try one before you buy a Calais, as the additional features of the V are very good in my opinion, e.g. the HUD.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The Calais V ride is very compliant. Try one before you buy a Calais, as the additional features of the V are very good in my opinion, e.g. the HUD.
I know you're set on a 6, but have you considered a S1 6.0L with AFM? The difference in real $ over a year, may be a lot less than you think.

NN334

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0lt
Would have to agree with Cuda.
I started looking looking at the same car as your thinking of and rnded up with V8 Calais V.

The fuel cost difference over a year for me works out at $250.
Less than a hamburger a week

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think leather does require more care, it really does need conditioning if you want to keep the car for a few years.

Something else you'd fit in & which isn't an achy-breaky dual-clutch 'box is a current-shape Liberty, the 3.6L version. Not necessarily recommending one, just suggesting in case you'd not considered it ... and one thing it does have which you can't get in a RWD Commodore is radar-cruise.

tallman5353

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Karma VF Calais V6
Thanks for the replies guys,

I think I'm still set on the 6 as rego here is quite bit higher for 8's plus insurance is more exxy. Just not worth it for me as I'm also looking at moving out of home this year.
The Lib does look nice, but the fuel consumption is higher plus it would be a bit smaller inside, in 2013 i actually was set on a gen 4 liberty but like the maz 6, was too small.

I might try a calais v just to see what the ride is like. 1300 for tyres is quite a bit, seeing as my last set of kuhmo's for the vy were just $520 a set. I did ring around a few tyre shops and the 18"s were noticeably cheaper. A calais V with calais 18"ers would be the ideal situation!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Main reason I thought of the Liberty was 'cos a mate of mine who's also 6'10" is happy with his, and he struggles to find cars he can get comfortable in. :) Commodores have usually been OK, but I know he gets annoyed when he's rented a Commodore & they give him a Falcon, he has to stoop to drive them.
And yeah, no way he could fit in a Gen 4.
But I think you're right in believing the Commodore to be a bigger car overall.

tallman5353

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Karma VF Calais V6
Was also thinking, would there be any advantage buying a '15 or '14 over a '13 apart from warranty? Were there any niggling issues in the early VF's that were subsequently fixed in later models?