Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

this procedure for adjust tv cable?

bubbada

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN Commodore
ive looked around for the proceedure for adjusting tv cable iv read and failed my car dont kick into second now damn, so i looked for a video i found this video is this the right way? i hope so.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Push the button in and slide the adjuster back away from the throttle body. Then, twist the throttle shaft to the WOT position and you'll see the cable ratchet out towards the front of the throttle body.

That's it. Take it for a drive. If it shifts too firmly into second gear, move the adjuster towards the front of the throttle body one notch.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Do it all from the engine bay, rotate the throttle to WOT slowly.
Never do it from in the car pressing the accelerator pedal as it can move to quickly and skip in past the correct setting (leaving the cable to slack, low line pressure, wrong shift points and wear out the trans quickly)

Audio is out of sync, I'm to lazy to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bubbada

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN Commodore
IMG_20151018_142210.jpg

Reset and Adjusted to WOT = 14mm
i've adjusted it to 15.5mm

whats yours?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
*shrugs* where ever it stops when adjusting it like that, i wouldn't use it as a gauge for anyones as the trans was/is ####ed.
Slipped in every gear, flush didn't fix it. Vette servo and 0.500 boost valve, another flush and some non slip treatment worked. It's been ok with hard shifts, no slipping and changing at the correct speeds for a few years now without more issues.

What are your problems for needing to adjust it in a further notch, by kick you mean change up or kick down?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Tried this. I wouldn't adjust the TV cable using the throttle quadrant unless I also liked 3500rpm shifts and changing engine mounts. I got a much smoother shift after setting the cable using the foot throttle . Like I've done for years.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Tried this. I wouldn't adjust the TV cable using the throttle quadrant unless I also liked 3500rpm shifts and changing engine mounts. I got a much smoother shift after setting the cable using the foot throttle . Like I've done for years.
If you’re getting harsh shifts then you’ve done something wrong. Sometimes slight manipulation one click either way is required depending on how smooth you want it to shift.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I'm happy to set the cable with the foot throttle - works OK. I'm just pissed off that I set it with the quadrant, tested it, shifted OK, then I put the covers back on. Next day it started hard shifting, so I had to repeat the process using my traditional foot method. Don't know why the change , there's no slack in my throttle cable etc. Did 160km yesterday and it's still shifting smoothly.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I'm happy to set the cable with the foot throttle - works OK. I'm just pissed off that I set it with the quadrant, tested it, shifted OK, then I put the covers back on. Next day it started hard shifting, so I had to repeat the process using my traditional foot method. Don't know why the change , there's no slack in my throttle cable etc. Did 160km yesterday and it's still shifting smoothly.

For what it's worth there is MEANT to be some slack in your throttle cable

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
For what it's worth there is MEANT to be some slack in your throttle cable
Setting the TV cable with the foot throttle left the car shifting smoothly at reasonable revs, that's all that matters to me.