Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on 100 Octane fuel with Ethanol

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
I have been filling up latley form a United station where they have 100 Ron fuel.

I only just realized that it has the Ethanol in it.

Car seems to run great (V8 08 SSV ute) on it.

My "old school" mechanic said he wouldn't use it.

Just wondering what others think???

Cheers.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
She'll had a 100 octane fuel in about 2007/2008 called V Racing, but discontinued it after poor sales. Stick with 98.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
I've run my car on the United 100, no issues, car seems to like it. It's only got a small ethanol content, so no need for the haters to get worked up over it.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
All fuel has a touch of ethanol in it I filled up in lidcombe nsw one day it said premium fuel when I hung up the nozzle and looked at the bowser it was 100 octane and worked a treat

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
not all fuel has ethanol, and by law it has to state it on the bowser

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Go the ethanol...I run an E85 tune in my SV6...runs great, smells a bit different and best of all no black crap on my exhaust tips. Costs about the same to run as 98.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
I run 110ron LPG, cost's half as much as e85 and usage is within 5% of petrol. Can't beat it

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
All fuel has a touch of ethanol in it I filled up in lidcombe nsw one day it said premium fuel when I hung up the nozzle and looked at the bowser it was 100 octane and worked a treat

No it doesn't, if it has any ethanol it will be printed on the pump stating the e-content, unlike diesiel which can have up to 10% alternative content and not tell you, for example did you know that almost all diesel sold at Shell in Victoria is 5% bio-diesel.

I run 110ron LPG, cost's half as much as e85 and usage is within 5% of petrol. Can't beat it

Yep, same here, are you running straight propane or regular Auto Blend? Propane is 110RON whereas Auto Blend is around 106RON.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Sorry to the OP, as for thoughts on it, there is no reason why it would be particularly bad for a late model car. The only rel problems I have heard of is when people in old cars have used it and the ethanol content has stripped the crap from the lines and tank and fouled up the fuel filter as a result, the subsequent tanks have been fine as the gunk was stripped out the first time. Holden has done extensive testing with ethanol fuel and I'd think that if they thought it wasn't going to be any good for your engine, they wouldn't say it would as they are the ones who would ultimately be paying for the rebuild under warranty if it did do damage.

Having said that, I've smelt a stinky old e10 hole in the middle of summer which was reminiscent of my old homebrew room and while my homebrew was pretty potent stuff that got my engine revving, I wouldn't be feeding it to my $50k car if you know what I mean.