Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on auto part store jacks and jackstands

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I was working on the drive shaft when I had my accident. Mind you, the jack did not collapse, it fell over and I had a jack stand under the car and that also fell over. Luckily for me the jack stand got wedged sideways under the car with the seam under the rocker firmly lodged in my chest but not crushed enough to stop me calling for help. I was certainly pinned and unable to move, my son came out and I gave him instructions to lower the jack, stand it up right and then jack the car up and off me. I wasn't sure once the jack was released if more weight would crush my chest so I wouldn't be able tell him what to do but in the end It all turned out ok.

I remember lying there, pinned under the car looking at the jack stand wedged close to the rear wheel which was about 40mm off the ground wondering what I'd do next. Sadly, there wasn't actually enough room between the car and the ground to get my arms into a position where I could get any leverage to lift it.

There is a picture somewhere, where after it's all said and done you can see how much the back of the car moved sideways when the jack fell over.

These days I always make sure the car is lowered onto the jack stands and I give it a good push to make sure it's not going anywhere before climbing under it. I also always leave the jack under the car so there are 3 points of contact should 1 fail.
That's what I like about this forum. Everyone has experiences to bring to the table, which goes toward possibly saving someone‘s life. We must always listen and learn and therefore not take for granted that just because it's never happened to you, it doesn't mean it never will.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If we're talking horror stories and near misses... I had a car lifted on 2 scissor jacks, don't ask why, maybe just asking for trouble.
Lucky I was thinking enough to give it a push test, and BOTH scissor jacks fell over. Had to go and change my undies and I've never used a scissor jack since.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I still get nervous with jack stands. The engineer in me is always running mental calculations. So, I get somewhat concerned about the relatively small base versus the height of the jack stand. So the higher the jack stand is set, the less sideways force it will take to topple the car. Something to keep in mind when trying to shove that transmission back in place!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Gotta man up and admit your mistakes so others can learn. My mistake was been in a rush and not bothering to use 2 jack stands, what ever I was doing was only going to take a minute or 2 (I was doing something to the centre bearing mount) and what could possibly go wrong in a minute or two right? Lesson learnt

I think I thought I hadn't tightened the bolts properly so I shimmied under the car, put the ratchet on the bolts and gave it a good tug, good enough to pull the car over...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I still get nervous with jack stands. The engineer in me is always running mental calculations. So, I get somewhat concerned about the relatively small base versus the height of the jack stand. So the higher the jack stand is set, the less sideways force it will take to topple the car. Something to keep in mind when trying to shove that transmission back in place!

Yup, that is what got me. I'm not skinny so I always have the cars at the maximum height the jack will reach.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Interesting product… wonder how safe it is?

Not impressed with the way he had to reach in to set it, and then retrieve it after letting it fall out when finished.
Mental pictures of a squashed forearm if the jack let go, which is why he is using that implement in the first place to prevent a jack collapsing.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Thanks guys for the helpful responses, and quite scary stories... I guess the general consensus is that jacks and jack stands from auto parts stores are generally safe and okay to use, and the safer jack stands are the pin design... Also, triple check everything and do not rush...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's not exciting till you have a mark across your chest from the seam from under the car.
Want a picture of my face...6 stitches across the nose and 9 under the left eye, from a car falling off am unsupported jack, with me under it?