Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on jacking under the diff.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
What's the general feeling towards jacking the rear of the car from under the diff, I went for a walk today and went past a couple of auto workshops and noticed a few VT/VY Commodores sitting supported by a jack under the diff, how strong is that area is it likely to cause damage to the diff itself ie crack the housing or damage the diff mounting points. Not sure if I would like my VX SS lifted like that. Appreciate your thoughts.

Schwuppes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67 (conversion)
ive always done it like that and am under the impression thats the general industry practice? Could be wrong though....

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Bad practice if the cars were only being supported by the jack rather than stands. But jacking from the diff is normal.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Can't say about the VT-VZ but the VB got jacked up under the diff when it was at the mechanic, its how they moved it about the workshop....

Schwuppes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67 (conversion)
yes forgot to say... of course the car should not remain jacked from the diff... stands must be used.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
I had a pretty bad experience with those standard jacks.

Was trying to replace both the rear tyres quickly, got one wheel off, went to take the other off and it collapsed on us. went to jack the side up with the wheel caught up in the gaurd..
apon taking the wheel off it collapsed again and the car came towards me (was sitting down).
Was pre bad, don't trust scissor jacks to start with! I bent both the scissor jacks I was using.. and had to borrow another to fix the problem.

Cool story bro! :spot on:

I much prefer trolley jacks, I normally support cars now, with jack + stands.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
if you use a scissor jack under the diff, you should crawl underneath the car completely and let darwins law take effect.

i often jack up the diff and move cars around when we are running out of parking space in the workshop and cars need to be swung in angles they couldnt do normally.

its perfectly fine.

RACE5L

Solid cammed
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 355
If a diff carrier can take burnouts, sudden stops, potholes cracking rims etc etc, im pretty sure a jack wont phase it.

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
i do it all the time, we had to do it to a BT-50 at work to move it because it didnt have any key's