Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle controllers, who’s gottem? Love or hate?

nzv8farmer

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 04 VZ
So looking at a throttle controller for my vz v6, people seem to rave about the results for what they cost, want to know what people on here think?

Have been looking at Revhigh stealth 4 but they have stated it’s coming but won’t say when and haven’t replied to my message so wondering what others people might of used? I have seen Mace list one and have a mate with an iDrive in his cruiser and loves it but unsure about either of them.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Good bit of cheap fun kit, like squirting water from realistic moustache and glasses, or a can of toluene from bunnings.
Wouldn’t want to be caught with one installed in a major prang though.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just use your foot to control the throttle.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
All they do is quicken throttle response, no real advantage , I think their a bit like the mythical cop chip

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
H

harrop.senator

No idea what they are but if they actually do increase throttle response mightn't be bad. Those first fly by wire vz v6 are shocking with the on n off throttle through Twisties or tight stuff the re apply after coming off throttle delay is huge on them or at least mine was.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
No idea what they are but if they actually do increase throttle response mightn't be bad. Those first fly by wire vz v6 are shocking with the on n off throttle through Twisties or tight stuff the re apply after coming off throttle delay is huge on them or at least mine was.

just think if you forget to set the reverse function on the unit , and back up , it may not end well , for you , or whatever you happen to reverse in to at great speed , because the throttle response is better .

H

harrop.senator

Lol what do they actually do? Does it accelerate the response from pedal to throttle body or just holds full throttle or something?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Lol what do they actually do? Does it accelerate the response from pedal to throttle body or just holds full throttle or something?
Interprets the stock accelerator pedal position potentiometer into a range of ramps. Basically instead of one analogue voltage ramp (that is interpreted in dozens of ways by the ECU and TCM anyway) the in-line unit simply converts to digital and typically outputs five ‘mapped’ analogue settings ranging from dumbing down pedal position to normal to ramping up the pedal to be really touchy.
It is the touchiness that is deliberately confused with engine performance.
Thing does not enhance the tune, rather crude way of confusing the tune. You mileage may vary, literally.
As mentioned I don’t think a District Court would really understand the explanation of motivation or harmless roadworthiness of installing a device that makes your car more volatile, unpredictable, and unsafe / unroadworthy. In my experience just like turning your grocery getter into a race car, judge would throw the book at you (special aim at your noggin for teen / P-platers) and you’d pay full blame for whatever reckless and careless damage caused to others.
Much better interpreting the pedal input using the tools already in the ecu, enormously more scope but yeah, costs a couple of hundgy more.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Interprets the stock accelerator pedal position potentiometer into a range of ramps. Basically instead of one analogue voltage ramp (that is interpreted in dozens of ways by the ECU and TCM anyway) the in-line unit simply converts to digital and typically outputs five ‘mapped’ analogue settings ranging from dumbing down pedal position to normal to ramping up the pedal to be really touchy.
It is the touchiness that is deliberately confused with engine performance.
Thing does not enhance the tune, rather crude way of confusing the tune. You mileage may vary, literally.
As mentioned I don’t think a District Court would really understand the motivation or roadworthiness of installing such a device, in my experience they would throw the book at you and you’d cop the blame for whatever reckless and careless damage caused to others.
Much better interpreting the pedal input using the tools already in the ecu, enormously more scope but yeah, costs a couple of hundgy more.

I quite agree , it's never been a convincing defense , " it was my newly installed throttle controller , Your Honor/ officer ,that's why I drove into the back of that other car and gave the other driver whiplash " . I would spend more and get a dedicated tune .