Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ticking/clunking from drivetrain VX wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
ok more issues with my Wagon
its now making a rotational clunking noise when accelerating, slow tick tick tick then getting fast as i go
i got it up on stands tonight and checked tail shaft and looks good, previously fitted new centre bearing and bush
the diff has some free play but thats pretty stantard for a commodore i think
checked diff oil and its full and only 5,000km old
check half shafts and they seem ok, boots fine, no movement when using a pry bar, some slight movement in/out and about 1mm of rotational movement both sides on the inner CV
all bolts tight everywhere
i can't find the noise anywhere

any ideas?
been told handbrake shoes, broken tooth in diff, CV's, broken gear in the auto trans??
this weekend i'll service the trans as there is a bit of metal in the oil but its only been 20,000km since last service
will remove diff hat and check diff gears and refill with thicker oil, after putting in the 90 weight oil as reccomended it started the whine so i'll put in the 80-140 that the LSD types use and hope that clears up the whine

oh and when running the car with the wheels off the ground found a massive flat spot on the inside of 1 rim, already smashed one and fond the last one of them 2 years ago. going to have to get new rims soon too...yay
might just sell it and buy something newer i have spent a fortune in the last year to keep this on the road and it only has 220,000km on it

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
noise cam e back and its getting worse
pretty sure its CV's but the boots are intact and there is not much movement by hand
any tips on replacing the shafts?

D

devilly

just a thought as its happened to heaps of people,have you checked your engine fans for movement,not for spinning, but for if they are loose by moving it back and forth.know heaps of people that have payed a small fortune to fix suspension or drive-line to find it was just there fan ticking.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
its definately coming from the rear end, i do also have a ticking noise i thought was lifter but the engine bay is silent and found that ticking is coming from the transmission area but thats a problem to fix anther day...this car will be 100% new soon due to the amount of parts that have been replaced in the past year

buckled another rim too so going to get a set of factory holden rims rather than aftermarket cheapies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
pulled a shaft from my track car and put it in the wagon and noise is gone, the left inner was loose compared to the others so i assume that was the issue. still waiting on the new set to arrive to swap over.