Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking lifters gone quiet

gregp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2 Wagon V6
Hi,

I have an 03 Berlina done about 240k. Did a 10k road trip in 6 weeks and after the first week noticed a ticking sound for a few seconds on startup which then went away. I'm assuming it's the lifters but I don't know. Once we got back it was still ticking on startup and fuel economy was about 3L/100km better. This crept back up to its old level and the ticking went away.

Is the sound likely the lifters? Should I change the lifters or could I clean or service them? Or just not bother now they're quiet? Is it really necessary to remove the camshaft as per the Gregory's manual?

Thanks,
Greg

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
V6's have roller lifters, so you can get away with just changing the lifters out, you don't need to touch the cam.

If they have gone quiet, why bother though.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Change the oil and filter and monitor. If the noise returns try some nulon lifter free additive.

jhvh777

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy storm ute
Gregp,

Mate I recently replaced all my lifters on a vy ecotec just over a month ago, and even I get that tiny bit of lifter noise that lasts a couple of seconds on a cold engine at start up(only noticeable in colder weather), i have 20-40w mineral oil in there too. When your lifters are properly stuffed the noise never goes away and is a lot louder.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Did you inspect the pushrods when you changed the lifters? I have seen a number of ecotec engines with apparent lifter noise that turned out to be worn push rods, because the V6 engines have roller cams fitted the push rods no longer turn like they do with the older flat tappet style cam which can lead to accelerated wear in the push rod/rocker cup area.

I recently did a set of rockers on a L67 with 180,000km and a good service history and 9/12 push rods were showing wear.