Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking Sound From The Engine

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Heh...

Since the thread was brought back to life - I may as well post an update. :)

The ticking sound has pretty much stopped (well mostly), and I'm guessing it was the oil. I'm currently using Magnatec for some reason.

Anyway - another comment about Rolfe Holden in Braddon. They changed the coolant a while back, and afterwards I noticed the same brown sludge sitting at the top. I actually thought it was normal, and was just dirt that had gotten in somehow.

After moving to Melbourne - I took it to a local K-Mart service station (bad of me, I know) - but at least they let me know what was wrong with the car.

Low and very rusty radiator fluid, and leaky rear suspension (both oil shocks were leaking).

When I got the car back, the brown sludge in the radiator was gone - and continues to remain clean after around 3 months.

I have the feeling Rolfe Holden in Braddon didn't actually change the coolant like they were supposed to... not happy at all.

Now I'm wondering if they really did change the brake fluid...

The only problem I'm having now is that the car has stalled TWICE when running low on petrol (not even on the red line)... so I now just fill it up when it hits 1/4 of a tank. Not sure if it's a fuel blockage, or just a dodgy fuel guage (I know Holden had a recall because of this, but I think mine was replaced).

- Gareth

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
i really cant understand why lots of people are having this ticking noise i myself have got it in my 95 vs ute 96000kms and its giving me the sh!ts, but my vs sedan 167000 dosent do it my vt 125000 didnt do it my vn 184000 didnt do it next door neighbours vn dosent do it 280000 and all my mates commodores have never ticked

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
Well mine's been "ticking" pretty much ever since I bought it at around 25,000km's... and I originally started this thread when the car had done 41,000kms. :)

Sometimes it ticks when it's cold, sometimes it ticks when it's warm... I'm still assuming it's the lifters, and different types of oils seems to have different effects. Currently I'm using Magnatec, and it definitely seems to quieten it down.

Either way, my car has now hit 127,000km's... so I've driven it over 100,000km's myself - and the engine still feels like it's going strong. I'm not so worried about the ticking anymore. :)

bails

Reaction score
Solution

Hi Fellas, I had the exact same ticking noise and thought it was coming from the engine, but sprayed some silicon spray all over the belts and pulleys and the noise has completely gone , i suggest you might as well try this, it's amazing how noise travels within a car, tell me if this works, make sure its silicon spray cost me $14 from Super Cheap. I drive SS V8 Gen3.

1LoudVt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Vy Series 2 Berlina
yeah ive got the same probs i have replaced all the pulleys except air con compressor water pump and harmonic balancer ive spent 100 bucks in oil and good additives to fix this prob the pulleys only stopped the prob for a short time and now its back.

bMcgrath84

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman, vn ss
i know the noise is gone. my vt had the same noise and me and my old man pulled the whole engine down and couldn't find any thing so we put it back together the noise was still there so we removed the gear box and the noise stopped :confused: so we inspected the gear box and it turned out it was the flex plate had snapped between the mounting bolts so we replaced it and noise was gone :thumbsup: never came back and is a dream to drive

AwaKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT With S Pack
I've got the same problem in my car, the ticking sound is frickin annoying, at first i was told it was the tappets, but my mechanic inspected them and said it wasn't it..

Now he tells me i've got a crack in the manifold and thats causing the ticking noise? I've got no clue about cars so i'm just going to have to believe what hes saying! But does that sound right to anyone?

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
My vt developed a loud ticking.. had spun a lifter full rebuild required

foxy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Gedday
I have just bought a vx 110,000 kays.Now and again on cold startup, a loud clack comes from the engine.
I dont think its an injector problem, and its definitely not tappets ticking.
Its quite loud and dissappears after a few minutes.
I have just seen a youtube video, and this bloke says it is piston slap, and is there by design.
It is not a fault, and is there to allow for pistons to expand.
Its common on the GM v6 engines.
What do others think of this 'reason'. ?