Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for some new tyres

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
The high quote on the PS3's was from Bob Jane T-Mart.

I am surprised no-one has mentioned Goodyear. I am going to start looking at two from their range, the Eagle F1 Directional 5 and the Eagle F1 Assymetrical. Not sure what pricing they go for but it seems Goodyear seems to have the most consistent reviews out of all the other brands.

In what size though? 19's?

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I hope I'm reading that wrong....
It sounds like you are confused as to what pressure to pump tyres to... 36 - 50psi???
Dude, if this is the case DONT be pumping to anywhere near 50psi!!
Go placard pressure or maybe 1 or 2psi more depending on load, but no more.
The max psi listed on the tyres is the safe maximum pressure to avoid a blowout, not the ideal pressure.
Sorry if I've misread your post, but it really does sound like you think 50psi is a suitable amount.... and it most definitely isnt.

No mate not confused, I was replying to an earlier post, and fwiw mine are at 38 front and 44 rear cos my k's are mainly freeway and with a full boot.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
I paid $279 each for Michelin PS3's in 235/40/ZR18 about 3 months ago.

Man that's dirt cheap, where did you pay that? Average prices I've seen for 235/35/19 range from $480 upwards.

i reckon once you jump to the standard ve size 245/45/r/18's the price would jump higher.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Tell me about it. I think the wankers were trying to have a lend of me. That said i sent off a few emails to get some pricing on some Continental ContiSport Contact 5's. Seem like a good tyre but it's obvious to me most tyre shops are putting their profits before suggesting genuine tyre recommendations, i guess it isn't surprising. Some of the tyres suggested to me by way of phone calls over the last 2 days is just plain silly.

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
The high quote on the PS3's was from Bob Jane T-Mart.

I am surprised no-one has mentioned Goodyear. I am going to start looking at two from their range, the Eagle F1 Directional 5 and the Eagle F1 Assymetrical. Not sure what pricing they go for but it seems Goodyear seems to have the most consistent reviews out of all the other brands.

We did mate. Check above.

Mr ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
Hi I got a set of Maxxis MA- Z1's fitted, balanced all up cost me $1100 and I am very happy with them.Grippy in wet and dry.FYI my potenza's lasted 45,000km at 38 psi in Perth where weather is warm most of the time.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Hi I got a set of Maxxis MA- Z1's fitted, balanced all up cost me $1100 and I am very happy with them.Grippy in wet and dry.FYI my potenza's lasted 45,000km at 38 psi in Perth where weather is warm most of the time.

Gotta say I'm a fan of the Maxxis stuff too. Used to run Maxxis Victra Z4's on my vz calais and they gripped really well (driving in the wet was basically the same as in the dry) and lasted about 50 thou (would have been longer if I'd bothered to get regular wheel alignments).

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
Well i ended up with a flat tyre today so had no choice but to buy some new tyres, turns out the old ones only had about 1mm tread left so fkd regardless.

Over days upon days of research i ended up scoring a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5 shoes and so far i'm impressed.

More to follow.