Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time to replace the Gas Bonnet Struts on the VX SS

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I bought an ebay strut conversion for my VC bonnet 10 years ago.....To this day, they're still on there doing their job

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Gas struts have been able to be regassed for donkeys years, don't know how they do them, never interested to find out, but now days cheaper to have a set delivered to the door.

Holden Commodore 2003 'struts'

Usually there's a valve and port under the plastic bit that is screwed onto the bottom of the strut for those that are meant to be refilled.
Nothing like that on the "Lift-o-mat" OEM struts at all, throw away society..... throw away item.
I remember people having them redone 15-20 years ago and they lasted a a few weeks at most, although a set of vice grips works wonders as well (2 if you want to be extra safe).

D

devilly

I replaced mine with genuine,thought i would give a handy hint :) in and emergency you can grab multi grips and at the top of the strut pole bit you can roughen them up a bit works for a few months :)

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Usually there's a valve and port under the plastic bit that is screwed onto the bottom of the strut for those that are meant to be refilled.
Nothing like that on the "Lift-o-mat" OEM struts at all, throw away society..... throw away item.
I remember people having them redone 15-20 years ago and they lasted a a few weeks at most, although a set of vice grips works wonders as well (2 if you want to be extra safe).

I am not going to bother with the regas option, but as a matter of interest the company I rang asked if they were the original struts on the VX and they said yes they will regas fine, they said some struts they don't do but the Holden ones are fine. Don't ask me how the do it as there appears to be no provision to do it, maybe they fit a port to them.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute SS
I bought a cheap set of struts from ebay. They have been on the car a few months now. They are really good!
These are the ones: https://ebay.us/rIjGPJ
I am stoked with em and it was really fast postage too
Made a quick video of replacing em if any one needs a bit of help.
Easy job

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute SS
I bought a cheap set of struts from ebay. They have been on the car a few months now. They are really good!
These are the ones: https://ebay.us/rIjGPJ
I am stoked with em and it was really fast postage too
Made a quick video of replacing em if any one needs a bit of help.
Easy job

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I bought an ebay strut conversion for my VC bonnet 10 years ago.....To this day, they're still on there doing their job

Man that was a cheap/easy common mod nobody remembers these days...

vb-vl wagon tailgate struts + vp/r guard & bonnet bolts with ball ends the struts clip onto...$5-$10 pre-covid prices

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Man that was a cheap/easy common mod nobody remembers these days...

vb-vl wagon tailgate struts + vp/r guard & bonnet bolts with ball ends the struts clip onto...$5-$10 pre-covid prices

Not to mention, less chance of one bonnet across neck or on head....Struts do give warnings when they are starting to fail...The stupid metal pole didn't

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Never had that happen went struts purely for cosmetic reasons....grew up in era of pretty engine bays hidden wiring etc Ron Barclay hq ute,Rat Attack monaro & Brett Hayes xu1.

D.i.y mods FTW!!!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’ve had good and bad results with eBay struts.

flip a coin.