Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timepieces / Clocks

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
I like a watch with a simple face, i have a seiko kinetic with dark blue face. They have really weird model names so I can't find it. I like not using to pull my phone out all the time to check time.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I could have got a bargain except I have too much of a conscience. There was someone on a buy/swap/sell group on Facebook who was selling a watch for $50 which they were given from a relative who passed away. Turns out it was a genuine Breitling and they had absolutely no idea how much it was worth! Someone offered $200 but I quickly told them they might want to take it somewhere to get valued because 5 minutes on eBay came back with a price of about $4,000. It was taken down soon after haha

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I could have got a bargain except I have too much of a conscience. There was someone on a buy/swap/sell group on Facebook who was selling a watch for $50 which they were given from a relative who passed away. Turns out it was a genuine Breitling and they had absolutely no idea how much it was worth! Someone offered $200 but I quickly told them they might want to take it somewhere to get valued because 5 minutes on eBay came back with a price of about $4,000. It was taken down soon after haha

Good on you , would have been a devil on the shoulder moment.
When dad died , he left me his prized
Maurice Lacroix watch , I didn't have the heart to remove it from his wrist , while he was laying in his casket at the family home , it wouldn't have been right .

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
My latest purchase arrived this morning , sorry about the angle :supersad:

Attachments

• watch 5.JPG
    watch 5.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 174
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Loving the posts! Some great pieces for sure. And absolutely, they're things to keep for a lifetime! Or multiple lifetimes! Hardly anything like that these days.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
My daily... It's a Tissot T Touch I bought in 2009 when I was actually in Switzerland. :D It's titanium and carbon fibre, has a touch screen and I love it. It's seen better days (apparently titanium shows marks more than stainless steel but is stronger and lighter) but still going strong. Had only one service/clean back in early 2014.

IMG_4620.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Here's my family's Grandfather clock. Hand made in Denmark in 1931 as a retirement gift to my Grandfather's Grandfather from his work mates. The direct translation of "Fra Kollegaer" you can probably work out pretty easily... "From Colleagues".

I actually always feel a bit emotional about it when I think of how much it meant to my Grandfather to inherit this. He cried when it arrived at his place in Sydney in a crate all the way from Copenhagen in the early 1990s. Memories can be a powerful thing. It had been with one of his older cousins until they passed away. Then when my Grandfather passed away in 2010, it went to my Dad. I remember when I was in junior high school, my Grandfather taught me how to wind it. Take up the slack of the counter weights (one at a time) and pull the chain through the winder until the counter weight is at the top and then gently let the counter weight hang. The two counter weights are mostly for the chimes but also provide "perpetual motion" to the pendulum. To set the time and how it keeps time takes a while. The weight on the pendulum has a thumb screw clamp. To slow it down you hang it lower. So you need to leave it a while and see what time it's keeping. Small adjustments are the key. But once it's set it's VERY precise. Even if it's been stopped, wind up the counter weights, start the pendulum swinging and wind the hands to the time and off she goes again!

My Dad and I actually dismantled the head and chimes unit from the cabinet a couple of years back as the chimes were out of alignment from the hammers so it wasn't chiming as nicely as it should any more. VERY VERY carefully we lightly heated the chime tubes and caressed them back into alignment. It's not 100% perfect, but it has sounded magnificent whenever it chimes even since - one on the half hour and however many for whatever time it is on the hour. And it really is a nice "GONG" sound.

IMG_20160322_150936.jpg

IMG_20160322_150953.jpg

IMG_20160322_150959.jpg

IMG_20160322_151023.jpg

IMG_20160322_151030.jpg

IMG_20160322_151036.jpg

IMG_20160322_151047.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Hopefully a new addition coming next week... Citizen Eco-Drive CA0576-08E. :D

CA0576-08E-4.jpg

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
As convenient as mobile phones are, I still wear and love the feel of a top end quality watch. My wife bought me an Omega Planet Ocean as a wedding gift 4 years ago. It's one of my most treasured possessions.
High end watches are one of the few things left in the world that are made to last a lifetime.

Most other things are designed with a maximum lifespan, quality watches feel "timeless"!

and it's a lot quicker to look at your wrist for the time than it is to drag a phone out your pocket.
Watches are more reliable too

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
New watch box with mine and my wife's three most common used watches.

20160716_160732.jpg

The Citizen Eco-Drive CA0576-08E has been postponed to be a birthday/Christmas present combined.
I also want to get a Casio Edifice. Why? Because Dan Ricciardo! :D