Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing belt marks?

asht12341234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just wondering if anyone can tell me where my cam and crank should be sitting when i put my timing belt back on. I rushed into it and pulled it off now i have no idea how to put it back on.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
try this bud

RB30Timingbelt.jpg

Vlt_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais Turbo, Vn Calais 5L
let's just call it a save, that you asked first because the mistake has been made way too many times over the years.

asht12341234

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
let's just call it a save, that you asked first because the mistake has been made way too many times over the years.

Well i wouldn't of tried to put it back on without knowing the correct way. thanks again detox_nath my car is running great.

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
rb30det VL wagon project, VL series 200
also make sure your number 1 piston is at (tdc) top dead centre because the cranks gear (bottom gear) will have say 12 teeth on it and the cam gear will have say 24 (twice as many teeth as crank gear) this means that when the crank turns the timing belt which turns the cam gear it will take 2 rotations of the crank to turn the cam a complete 360 degrees . So make sure you get that right. google how to safely check for TDC.one way would be taking out the no. 1 spark plug, disconnect the plug to coil and remove the fuel pump fuse and then crank the engine for only a second or two. in the plug hole tightly stuff in a piece of clean rag with some oil on it so that when you crank it the compression will spit the rag out when the piston hit TDC. then you will know your close and can look at where your dot is on the cam gear. hope that helps.