Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain replacement - can crank timing be 360 degree off? (SOLVED)

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yeah I reckon if it lines up it lines up. It happened to me after I did the valve stem seals, had the camshafts out.

I went through everything. Plugs, coil packs, fuel sender unit, fuel filter, fuel lines, injectors, throttle body, earth's, Tech 2 testing, sent the computer to Australia for testing. All good. Had no codes. Was the biggest mystery.

Guy who tested my computer heard me out and said carefully inspect all the wiring.

I found the wire to the camshaft sensor cracked.

That's the obvious one to break cause of the way it loops, and gets hot.

But you gotta peel back the tape to see where they break. It is not obvious.

It wasn't even broken. Just the plastic was cracked.

Mine was doing exactly as you say. I had to pour petrol down the spout to start it. Ran rough as guts like the timing chains were on wrong if you put the foot down. Blew a massive cloud of smoke. Just kept dying.

So I reckon inspect carefully. If the car was running fine before you did the job it probably isn't any of that other stuff I mentioned and that gave me such a headache.

Double check you got everything plugged in good too? Your throttle body connection, the plug at the back of the plenum, your hoses. In the haste of the moment and all. A second look never hurts.

Anyway, I know your feeling. I hope you sort it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The engine won't run if the cams are 180° out. 360° on the crank will be exactly the same as #1 will come back to TDC, the rotating assembly only knows TDC and BDC it doesn't know which stroke it's on.

It's got an issue somewhere else I suspect.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'm sure you would have noticed if this was the case, but the first time I had the intake manifold off mine I broke the PCV vent hose putting the manifold back on. So it was sucking air and causing a huge vacuum leak. That caused it to idle like a top fuel dragster pretty much how you describe. So check vacuum hoses too.

eddy6241

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon Exec Dual Fuel
Thanks very much, ok I will carefully check the cam sensor wiring which does get quite knocked in the process..

I did get a p0335 and p0336 crank sensor error code trying to run it, just once, but can't get that code to recurr and it seems odd this sensor would decide to fail at the exact time I took the heads off, since it isn't even removed, so I'm concerned that was just erroneous, although that will be the next thing after checking the loom to the cam sensors, as the symptoms obviously match for a crank sensor fault, but the problem was also were there well before it threw the crank sensor code, and is still there with no error codes at all now again.. I'd like to see it throw that crank sensor code at least twice? ..but not sure what else to try..
Cleaned up the ignition ring and key with fine sandpaper didn't help..

Thanks again for help so far

Last edited:

eddy6241

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon Exec Dual Fuel
Yes I solved the problem was inlet manifold to plenum gasket was misfitted.. so it seems the answer to my question is no, the crank can't be 360 degree out...

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yes I solved the problem was inlet manifold to plenum gasket was misfitted.. so it seems the answer to my question is no, the crank can't be 360 degree out...

Which is exactly what I explained, the crank only has TDC and BDC the cam doubles that.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Bad luck the plenum went on crooked two times, and you had to pull the timing cover off twice. But good luck it was so easy to solve, and you didn't have to spend more money. It is the little things always.

Good feeling when you find out what is wrong and turn it over again. Vroom.

Reactions: Lex