Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing chain tensioner? is it worth it

steveabbott

Stevo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN EXEC
need some advice
im pretty sure the timing chain tensioner is buggered on my vn, had a reco and it was pretty unreliable
question is, is it worth taking off all that just to get it fixed or should i just pay a mechanic to fix it?
it makes a rattle at idle and it disappears once there is some load put on it it stops n that points to the tensioner to me
any opinions are much welcome
cheers
steve

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
Timing chain rattle can be caused by a stuffed harmonic balancer .... and are you 100% sure its the timing chain or maybe the fan belt tensioner arm spring is worn and causing vibration/rattle at low revs it does on my car when engines warmed up and heat gets to the worn spring , it wont do it on cold start.

does it do it in all gears ? or only when in gear and at low revs ? does it rattle when engines cold or when its hot ?

put car in gear with handbrake on and pop the bonnet and look at the tensioner ... also inspect the balancer for rubber damage to it or is it cracked.

if it is the timing chain its a big job ... so take it to a few mechanics for better opinion and better price on repair.

RSWNEY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5.0 Calais
Changing the cam chain tensioner in a Series 1 V6 is not a big job, I've in the middle of doing mine (just need a tensioner). Take the radiator shrowd and fan off, drain the water from the engine, remove harmonic balancer and remove cam chain cover (with water pump intact). Took me about 2 hours.

By the way, does anyone know where I can buy a cam chain tensioner from? Holden NZ charge $340 each! Seems EVERY series 1 tensioner breaks because no wreakers have them. I could look for my busted one in the sump but I don't really want to remove the sump to find it.