Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing cover coolant leak

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
k guys still having issues wif this leak thought it was intake manifold did tht now im pretty sure its timing cover which i havent heard this is common 4 94 vr v6 but anyway

so gona rip the cover off any advice never done this b4, heard people put double chains back on any1 know wher i can get these kits?/gaskets price approx? anythg else ill need 2 do while im ther?

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
another thing is this like a 1 day job or a nightmare ahah

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
No point going double row, unless you've got a cam and higher spring pressure, just go factory replacement. It's not a hard job but you will want at least a day as you don't want to f this up.... Might as well replace water pump at the same time and the front main seal (think they do a kit with all 3 from memory) also I believe there is a small section at the bottom of the timing cover which over laps the sump so you may need to drain the sump after you more than likely leak coolant down there lol just take your time and use good quality sealant where required

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I had the same thing happen on my old VP.

Not too hard of a job, but not one you want to get wrong. I had fun with the heater pipe that goes through the timing cover...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Are you sure it's not the water pump? It sits above the timing cover.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
if your motors over 200k old then a double row chain can be of benefit as it omits the tensioner which most likely is in the sump anyways, plus they are only a few $$ more :)
If the timing cover is pooched your going to have to weigh up replacement cost, as new ones are around 600$... you can pick up serviceable 2nd hand ons for 100 to 200 bucks
As for kits/parts most auto shops will have or get them in for you or ebay if your out in the boonies

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
if your motors over 200k old then a double row chain can be of benefit as it omits the tensioner which most likely is in the sump anyways, plus they are only a few $$ more :)
If the timing cover is pooched your going to have to weigh up replacement cost, as new ones are around 600$... you can pick up serviceable 2nd hand ons for 100 to 200 bucks
As for kits/parts most auto shops will have or get them in for you or ebay if your out in the boonies

The replacements come with a new tensioner? I haven't bought one in a while but last time I did I remember it being a fair bit more expensive like almost double the factory replacement .... Not that it mattered cause I needed it lol maybe while u have everything apart you should do a cam or something? Good luck bro hope it all goes well for ya trust me when I say take your time!

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
Are you sure it's not the water pump? It sits above the timing cover.

nope thts what i first thought got new water pump, and thermostat thn leaked still so i did the intake manifold they needed 2 done anyway they wer bad shape, it deffs dosnst look like the temp sens so had 2 b timing cover

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8

yea thanks gona go double ,

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
The replacements come with a new tensioner? I haven't bought one in a while but last time I did I remember it being a fair bit more expensive like almost double the factory replacement .... Not that it mattered cause I needed it lol maybe while u have everything apart you should do a cam or something? Good luck bro hope it all goes well for ya trust me when I say take your time!

ok can the cam b done without taking engine out? and how much 4 a cam dnt need a top 1 jst slightly better, if i dnt line up my timing kogs right ill break somthg yer or it jst wont start?