Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing cover coolant leak

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
The replacements come with a new tensioner? I haven't bought one in a while but last time I did I remember it being a fair bit more expensive like almost double the factory replacement .... Not that it mattered cause I needed it lol maybe while u have everything apart you should do a cam or something? Good luck bro hope it all goes well for ya trust me when I say take your time!

hmmm Rollmaster Double ROW Timing Suits Ecotec L67 Supercharged V6 VS VT VX VU VY | eBay
not that more than a similar brand single....Oh just notice in the above add the balance shaft sprocket has to come off as well, thought it was only the tensioner that was omitted...what a shame no one ever did straight cut gears for the V6 :D

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
ok can the cam b done without taking engine out? and how much 4 a cam dnt need a top 1 jst slightly better, if i dnt line up my timing kogs right ill break somthg yer or it jst wont start?

Leave the cam be.... you will have to do the inlet manifold again :) then you might as well replace the lifters, as they have to come out... then whilst your at it might as well give the heads a freshen up :)
but yeah you can do it with engine in car, easier with it out....hell most things are :)

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
If you don't get the timing right you will be up for a new donk or rebuild lol :p

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
im still confused how 2 do the job.. thought it was wasy as make room, take balancer off which i dnt know know how yet som told me put a breaker bar on it and prop it and start the car sounds bad 2 me, take the timing cover off , take chain off putt new double chain on, make sure it stays lined up, replace gasket, cover back on, change oil refill coolant job done...

but i been told i gota take rods out? , gota find piston 1 highest point y? im not doing the cam which only way i know is put a pen in the spark plug socket and turn it till it pushes it out, but i dnt know if this is accurate enough, put new oll seal in ? this is 4 the balancer i thk , pull apart oil pump and cheack it?
another thg is i dnt know how 2 cheack oil pressure is their a easy way 2 do this dnt need a reading jst wana know if my pressure is good or bad,

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
then whilst your at it might as well give the heads a freshen up :)

yea cam sounds like 2 much 4 now , i alwayz thought heads wer piston heads wht r they ? ahah

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
yea cam sounds like 2 much 4 now , i alwayz thought heads wer piston heads wht r they ? ahah

Lol that's what they call the piston "crown", the heads (in our instance) are the long bits of cast iron which contain the combustion chambers and valves and rocker assemblies etc for the 3 cylinders on which ever side your talking about so our car has 2 heads, 2 banks of 3 cylinders, a straight six has one head .... Does that help u understand more?

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
With a double row chain youll need to check clearance to oil pump cover

From MACE website:
NOTE: Clearance between chain set and the oil pump cover must be checked to ensure that the chain does not rub against the oil pump housing, which may be a problem on some engines. In the event that additional clearance is needed, you can run multiple timing cover gaskets or our thinner oil pump cover.

Last edited:

mossy14

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore 3.8
Lol that's what they call the piston "crown", the heads (in our instance) are the long bits of cast iron which contain the combustion chambers and valves and rocker assemblies etc for the 3 cylinders on which ever side your talking about so our car has 2 heads, 2 banks of 3 cylinders, a straight six has one head .... Does that help u understand more?

yer i got it now cheers man :p ,