Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing

hld355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5.0l
yesterday when starting my vr 5.0 when winding it started to kick back real bad to . I put the timing light on it its set at 10dbtdc i moved the dizzy back and forth dosent matter were you set it still get kick back. I bridged the pins under the dash before i put the light on it to any ideas.

hld355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5.0l
what no one can help?

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
nope i cant

and before you say this was pointless you asked if any one can help and i replied

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
but maby it's not your dizzy as how would the timing change that much

hld355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5.0l
yer im not thinking its the dizzy as i replaced it 6 months ago with a quality one. Am really lost with this as its been running good then it starts doing this... as for vr1uz-fe question the timing was spot on when rechecked .

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If its not the timing or distributor,it could be a leaking head gasket leaking coolant into one of the cylinders.This will cause the engine to kick back when cranking, as the piston has to compress the coolant thats leaked into the cylinder,back out through the leaking gasket.It might be worth getting a compression test done,and also get the cooling system pressure tested.And a leaking head gasket doesnt always let the coolant mix with the oil,so you dont always get the milky **** under the oil cap.

hld355

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5.0l
that is a good point will look at this one as i had the same thought. i forgot to mention it only does it when warm