Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinted Windows

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I got quoted $320 to do my SS at instant wndscreens, then $250 from a smaller business, both with lifetime warranties lol

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
i got mine done today at 35% front and 20% back door and glare stip

Didn't know Tassie got enough sun to warrant tinted windows! :yeah:

Just kidding mate. Looks awesome! :thumbsup:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
For the record... 35% is the darkest legal tint on any window for ALL states and max 10% reflectivity. In some states such as SA, the darkest tint allowed on the front 2 windows (driver and passenger) is 70%.

Erm in Vic from what i understand it is 35% max on front windows, 70% max on all rear windows, it is how they create the front to look darker than it is. SA's laws are kind of backwards, why would you allow darker tint on the front and not on the rear?

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Some places have prices ranging from say $190 to $400 for the same darkness of tint, just depending on quality.

Then why wouldn't they say, "depending on the quality of the tint, I can do it for between $190 and $400"? Where's the difference in quality if they all offer lifetime waranties on fading, peeling and everything else that can go wrong? Wouldn't they just go the cheapest one, because in the end, it can't be too bad if it has the lifetime warranty.

Yes, there are hundreds of different quality tints you can buy, but I think you'll find that most shops just stick with the one type, rather than having a hundred different 35% tints that all offer the same protection.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Erm in Vic from what i understand it is 35% max on front windows, 70% max on all rear windows, it is how they create the front to look darker than it is. SA's laws are kind of backwards, why would you allow darker tint on the front and not on the rear?

That's really random...

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina

Minux, you have it backwards. The % is the amount of light that is let through... The lower the % the darker the tint :) The % stands for Light Transmittance.

Now does it make sense?

From the Victorian Guidelines (Vehicle Standards Information 2 published by VicRoads):
"All windows of a motor vehicle, other than windscreens, available to the driver to obtain a view of the road or other road users must have a light transmittance of at least 35 per cent. However it is desirable that the light transmittance of windows to the side and ahead of the driver is not reduced below 70 percent."

So in Victoria, it is 35% all round which is the DARKEST LEGAL, even though they say its desirable to have 70% on the front windows.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Then why wouldn't they say, "depending on the quality of the tint, I can do it for between $190 and $400"? Where's the difference in quality if they all offer lifetime waranties on fading, peeling and everything else that can go wrong? Wouldn't they just go the cheapest one, because in the end, it can't be too bad if it has the lifetime warranty.

Yes, there are hundreds of different quality tints you can buy, but I think you'll find that most shops just stick with the one type, rather than having a hundred different 35% tints that all offer the same protection.

Some places will offer you different prices for different quality tints. Thats exactly right though, MOST shops stick with ONE type, but that type will vary between shops. So I fail to see any argument here, because my point was exactly that, one shops tint for $250 may be different quality to the other shop who is offering tint for $320. Perhaps asking for the name of the tint or where it is manufactured might help when pricing between shops. Both the tints the guy posted about came with lifetime warranties so they must be decent quality, but colour can also vary depending on the quality/price of the tint... Some come out with a SLIGHT purple tinge which may get worse if it fades. Some warranties may also only be against the tint bubbling etc. rather than the colour of the tint (which can change as it fades).

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Some warranties may also only be against the tint bubbling etc. rather than the colour of the tint (which can change as it fades).

The warranties are pretty standard. If it's a fault with the tint, the manufacturer takes the cost, if it's with the installation, the installer takes the cost.

Furious_8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Twin Turbo, VN Turbo, VY Storm
I had my (Hot House) VY Storm Tinted with a Dark Greed Tint and it looks great but i have never checked to see if its legal. are colors legal?