Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinting Dilemma!

Linchpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
well if i do get defected i suppose i will appeal the defect, stating that i bought the car with the windows already tinted, accompanied by the link from the rta website. and proving the car is infact a 1992 model means that they have no proof whatsoever, therfore how could they possible defect me
The trouble is it probably won't be as easy as that, they will most likely want a receipt stating the date it was put on, or maybe even a declaration from the previous owner that it was done on such and such a date. Maybe they could even check the tint for age, but who knows.

Anyway, I personally think 15% would look great, I've got 20% on mine and I'm very happy with it. I knew the risks before I got it done, so I won't be surprised if it ever gets a defect.

Last edited:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
if it was as simple as saying "the tint got done before 94", there would be heaps more people driving around with 5% tint and not getting done for it and having to rip it off. i dont think it would be too hard to prove the tint is reasonably new, and if they wanted to get serious, they would rip some of the tint off and go test it i suppose, surely tint has changed a bit over the years. is the car in mint condition? is the paint faded at all? it would have to be like near new for them to even think about believing that the tint is that old.

for my wagon, im going 35% front door windows, 20% rear door windows, 5% on all 3 cargo area windows.

ferral21

ferral21
Reaction score
Members Ride
vq statesman
re window tinting

I have 5% on my car all i do is put the 2 front windowa down

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
well if i do get defected i suppose i will appeal the defect, stating that i bought the car with the windows already tinted, accompanied by the link from the rta website. and proving the car is infact a 1992 model means that they have no proof whatsoever, therfore how could they possible defect me

Basically THEY don't need any proof whatsoever. YOU do. The law ain't fair mate. And quite frankly there is a very good reason it's not fair. If it was people would take advantage of every loophole possible (like your trying to ;))

Oh and don't forget.... Doing this will most definetly void your insurance :)

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
for my wagon, im going 35% front door windows, 20% rear door windows, 5% on all 3 cargo area windows.
Will it look OK, i mean will it look patchy with the different tint's ??
I'm getting my wagon done before next summer, will be waiting to see how your's turns out.:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Executive Wagon
as for the cars condition, the new tint wont look out of place as the paint is practically perfect, and the car has been garaged all its life.. i will also be getting a closed door respray in a few months just to get the plastic bumpers in exactly the same colour (we all know how they fade)... anyways, im sure ill be happy with 15% and hopefully i wont have too much trouble with the cops, ill try to be friendly!! haha thanks for all the help guys

Burt_vn

Back in the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VG V8 5spd, 400hp 5spd soarer, vq stato
i have 5% all round and 20% on my front doors, i want the fronts changed to 5% as well.. i've never had any trouble seeing and yeah the fact my windows are tinted never even crosses my mind. having 5%, to 20% then 35% in the front will be easily noticeable, i can tell the 20% on the fronts easy. If you want a really dark look, go the 5% for sure. Ive been pulled over a fair few times and never had a mention from the cops. Also, they cant defect you without a UV meter, so unless they request you come to the station to test the windows dont worry about a defect, and they'll only do that if your a smartass or if theyve had a shocker of a day dealing with other commodore drivers :p

show us the results either way, but yeah id recommend 5%, looks great + privacy ;)

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Executive Wagon
thanks burt_vn... i really do want the darkest look possible, without being too dark, its just that every1 says its too hard to see out of.. i am starting to want to go the 5% and just have the front windows down when needed... ill dwell on it a little more !!