Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tinting my VZ sedan

extremeaudiowa

Reaction score
gday everyone,

I am wondering on tint's

How dark is too dark

I just had my VZ sedan done in 20 grade tint. Looks hot but it is very dark.

Just wondering what others have. 32 is legal in WA so i know it is illegal but it is only black not colours or silvers etc....

Cheers

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
I think it has a lot to do with the interior and exterior colour of your car...

I have the darkest LEGAL tint on the "Little Red Wagon" and I still think it's too light... And then, some days I can look at it and think "need darker tint!"....

As for vision, never have a problem, day or night!!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I used to have 20 grade tint all round until I was defected for it, I never had trouble at night. 20% is the perfect choice in my opinion, and I still have 20% on my rear window but the rest is 35% so I dont get defected again!

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
ive found that the worst time to see out of my windows is when i am backing out the driveway at night. the sensor light goes on and shines in the windows making it nearly impossible to see out of the back.

i guess its a matter of opinion really, 20% does look awesome but you also run the risk of being defected and you will have the added cost of removing the tint, getting it reapplied and getting the defect off the car.

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Defection is not worth the trouble.

Go with the darkest legal tint for your state (they sometimes differ) and avoid the hassle of ripping it off just so you can drive it.

SinisterVY

"The World Is Yours..."
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY II S
whats the darkest legal tint for nsw? how much should you generally pay to have it applied?

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV

extremeaudiowa

Reaction score
The darkest tint in WA needs to let through 35% not 32%. And from memory is the same accross all states of OZ..

Below is a link to the Vehicle Standards Bulletin for WA.

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_IB-119A.pdf

This is the link to the standards guide for NSW (basically the same)
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi03_rev3.pdf

Your right (PARTIALLY) i dont want to start a war on here but the legal limit is 35% but they inspectors have to allow for +/- 10% difference due to external conditions, glass conditions & age of testing equipement. (Straight from the Local Licensing Centre) which means legal is 31.5%

IE: 32% is legal. if tested they would pass it.

But technically 35% is what thye say.

as i said i dont want to start a war of words at all....

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
It really depends on the operator you get at the inspection centre and the copper who pulled you over in the first place. I work in the fleet industry and can assure you I have many a car picked for being 32 - 33% when being re-licensed. Equally there has been many a car that probably got away at that..

A brother in law got done for tints on his non modified Senator. The tint was the only mod and it was a bit dark, however he got stung for his stock suspension. Apparantly it could go lower than the legal limit if he had heavy passengers in the rear!!

I just think for the case of a couple of percent its not worth the hassel of going over the pits and being nit picked.