Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips on buying a VE ss

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Hi all
Im Looking at Buying a 2008/2009 SS ute (manual) and wanted to know if there is anything i should be looking for as a potential problem. Is the 6.0 a good engine and if looked after what is the expected life of the engine before major repairs. I have looked at a couple with around 150/160k's (is this too high?)
Thanks
Alan

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Not too high for a manual, only reason it won’t keep on trucking is the lower valvetrain - cam and lifters at the cam face. Best look to change that 160-200k in my experience. Highest ever before this component failure is 385k km.
Yes is a world class ute engine with a VVT cam out of a yank truck. Thing is there’s no VVT mechanism so is really hampered / not effective. So cam lifters and springs and she’s a beaut Ute.
Look for regular documented oil and filter change of course.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Not too high for a manual, only reason it won’t keep on trucking is the lower valvetrain - cam and lifters at the cam face. Best look to change that 160-200k in my experience. Highest ever before this component failure is 385k km.
Yes is a world class ute engine with a VVT cam out of a yank truck. Thing is there’s no VVT mechanism so is really hampered / not effective. So cam lifters and springs and she’s a beaut Ute.
Look for regular documented oil and filter change of course.
what would you be replacing around 160k in regards to the valve train? lifters aswell as the normal cam gear? i ask as im approaching the 160k mark soon

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hi all
Im Looking at Buying a 2008/2009 SS ute (manual) and wanted to know if there is anything i should be looking for as a potential problem. Is the 6.0 a good engine and if looked after what is the expected life of the engine before major repairs. I have looked at a couple with around 150/160k's (is this too high?)
Thanks
Alan
They're petty good generally, look at balancer for wobbles and any engine rattles noise when cold and normal check of a/c and coolant lines etc. The L98 is the best 6l engine.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
what would you be replacing around 160k in regards to the valve train? lifters aswell as the normal cam gear? i ask as im approaching the 160k mark soon
If you want to know the minimal critical maintenance then just lifters and cradles.
But really is a good opportunity to overhaul and tidy head, swap better cam, pushrods, cam gear, timing chain and tensioner.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The std clutches aren't great either I'd be looking for one that's had a clutch replacement, preferably a heavy duty clutch

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
If you want to know the minimal critical maintenance then just lifters and cradles.
But really is a good opportunity to overhaul and tidy head, swap better cam, pushrods, cam gear, timing chain and tensioner.
mine is a l98 would that still include lifters?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
mine is a l98 would that still include lifters?
Thing is L98 is the longest running GenIV rectangle port and there’s been just a couple of reports of lifter failure. I don’t think it would hurt, GM designed the engine to last 100,000 miles so good time to lift the lids, inspect / overhaul heads, replace the lifters and cam. Makes sense to do the chain, tensioner and cam gear too.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Thing is L98 is the longest running GenIV rectangle port and there’s been just a couple of reports of lifter failure. I don’t think it would hurt, GM designed the engine to last 100,000 miles so good time to lift the lids, inspect / overhaul heads, replace the lifters and cam. Makes sense to do the chain, tensioner and cam gear too.
yer fair enough, most packages ive seen for the l98 dont offer the lifters to be done, seems like its a bit more of a job to do the lifters while doing the cam? doing the lifters requires the heads to come off, would this be the reason shops wouldnt do them? as it takes more time?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
yer fair enough, most packages ive seen for the l98 dont offer the lifters to be done, seems like its a bit more of a job to do the lifters while doing the cam? doing the lifters requires the heads to come off, would this be the reason shops wouldnt do them? as it takes more time?
Depends really, how much for just the cam?