Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To all owners of VE SS or SSV wagons with modified exhausts

loku16

Reaction score
Website
www.addicted2fish.com.au
Members Ride
2010 VE SS-V Wagon
Keep us posted but generally Sedans don't have the issues and you won't need the sound deadening in the boot. I'd keep that up your sleeve for your doors when you upgrade the sound system :)

I think I will end up with a 3.45 or a 3.7 diff.

Chaps90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
Keep us posted but generally Sedans don't have the issues and you won't need the sound deadening in the boot. I'd keep that up your sleeve for your doors when you upgrade the sound system :)

I think I will end up with a 3.45 or a 3.7 diff.

Haha, not going with a upgraded sound system. might put a sub in it for some nice base but thats all XD
Oh and disconnect the centre speaker, its the one that distortes the most. so without it the std ones sound mint

I do have my 2 Type R's and 600rms amps from my old car tho. tempted haha

OH also. How do you go with cleaning the beast? Black is a bitch. I have about 500 bucks of autoglym that make it mint. the HD wax is amazing. just takes time haha

BlueSteele

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SSV Sportswagon
They guy at walkinshaw head office in Melbourne said this to me today as i was having a listen to the exhausts.

He said the auto has a 2.9 just so holden can make the emmision standards really easily or something along those lines.

Long story short he said the 3.45 would make it a lot better. And improve the cars performace dramatically.

Ill be fitting the 2.5" power pack with sports headers and a 3.45 diff. Ill let you know how it goes. Bit will be about a month before i do.

The car should be off its head by then.

I have a VE SS Series II Sedan, so shall see how it goes. Will definatly use the sound deadening in the boot tho as people suggest.

just be aware going 2.5" will restrict you in getting more KW at a later date if you did your cams ect.

colonelbmx

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black ssv redline ute
ive heard people have issues with droning when the exhaust tips end underneath the car even a little a bit making sure the tips extend past the back of the car should help.

loku16

Reaction score
Website
www.addicted2fish.com.au
Members Ride
2010 VE SS-V Wagon
Haha, not going with a upgraded sound system.
Yeah that's what ALL of us initially! :) Look at me.. I swore black and blue that I would never upgrade/modify my car! Now it has become like an addiction and 99% of people here don't help matters!!

How do you go with cleaning the beast? Black is a bitch.
YES...especially with this bloody Melbourne weather (not the currently beautiful weather) :) I'm going to get the car detailed in December (Tinny suggested a great place) and then I will start washing it myself. At the moment, it's convenient for me to get it washed during work and I can see the beginnings of swirl marks!!! :(

Chaps90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
At the moment, it's convenient for me to get it washed during work and I can see the beginnings of swirl marks!!! :(

Haha i have a crap load of swirl marks. I gave it a quick was the other day and they appeared in legions.
I know i had them after i used some "really good" wax from meguiers tech 2.0. Left swirl marks all over the car.
So i got the full Autoglym set. Cleansed it, clayed it, polished it and deep shined.
Took out pretty much all the swirls and it was back to looking new.

SO ill do that every now and then.

And dont get me started on melbourne weather. hahaha XD

mondo74

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv sportwagon redline
sorry about reviving an old post but was wondering if anyone has 'drone' in a mod'd or std sportwagon. mine is still std but i notice a drone like noise in 4th between 1600 - 1800rpm. was thinking this will be exaggerated once i put a cat back on. any one else notice this sound?

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
sorry about reviving an old post but was wondering if anyone has 'drone' in a mod'd or std sportwagon. mine is still std but i notice a drone like noise in 4th between 1600 - 1800rpm. was thinking this will be exaggerated once i put a cat back on. any one else notice this sound?

Hi Mondo,

I am told that some systems will not drone on a wagon. I have a Series II SS Sportwagon with the following;

Walkinshaw headers
Walkinshaw high flow cats
Walkinshaw exhaust 2.5" exhaust pipes until the mufflers
Difilippo mufflers
ORSSM OTR intake
Dyno tune

Ok just to explain the lessons I have learnt

1. I don't think you can ever fully eliminate drone in a wagon. The cabin space is larger and exacerbates drone.

2. With Walkinshaw you pay for the name. The gear in not necessarily better. Be careful which Walkinshaw places you go to! The one I went to was rubbish and the bloke was full of crap. I have the wear marks on my steering column to prove it!

3. If you want a meaty sounding wagon you have to live with drone.

4. If I had my time over again I would have let Murat from Marranos in Croydon, Sydney look after my car from the beginning this guys customer service is second to none! My daily drive goes there as well and is looked after really well!

My car drones at around 1,700 RPM but not much before or after. Difilippo exhausts are expensive but the best in my opinion. You get what you pay for in this case. If I had my time again in would be a Difilippo system all the way through.

If you need any other advice mate then I am happy to explain my experiences. I am no mechanic but I have learnt a few things through shelling out hard earned cash on fairy tails.

Cheers
Benny

mondo74

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv sportwagon redline
thanks for the info Benny! i spoke to the holden dealer about it and they're going to have a listen next week. the sound doesnt bother me at the moment but just didn't want there to be an issue if it's exacerbated once i put an exhaust on (and then for them to tell me it's due to something i did).
i was looking at the di fillippo or kpm as per the advice on the threads here but my holden dealer told me they would be most likely to honour my warranty only if i had the work done at sams performance. he only seemed to carry the xforce exhaust not sure how i'mm going to go with that one. did you have any warranty concerns prior to undertaking any of that work you did to your car? i'd love to go all out like that but as this is my first new car, am trying to be sensible with protecting the warranty.
mondo

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Yeah I didn't drive my car standard from brand new as I had the Walkinshaw power pack fitted before delivery but I can't imagine there would be much drone on a standard setup. So maybe something wrong?
I hear KPM is good as well!
It is my understanding that the warranty is only void if the modification you have done can be shown to be the cause of a problem. I have had two warranty jobs done so far, one for a squeaking drivers seat and the other for a possible gasket issue which is still under investigation. No issues so far on Holden doing work as my exhaust has nothing to do with these problems. With the possible gasket issue I was asked if I had any cam or engine mods done and I havent so though were ok with it.

I have heard mixed reviews about Sam Performance as he is the Walkinshaw dealer in that area. I have had a bad experience at the Wetherill Park Walkinshaw place. Can share more detail if you want to PM me. I dont want to carry on to much about it in here because I would like to think there are success stories also with these guys.

Just my 2 cents but I would steer clear of xforce. To quantify that, it is due to the reports of build quality from my mechanic. We put it up against the Di Filippo gear and it seemed to be rattly and raspy sounding. It may not have been a fair comparison because I think they are at opposite ends of the price scale. If you are on a budget, which is we all are at times, xforce would be a viable option. If you can shell out out for DiFil or KPM then I would recommend it.

Before you decide on any brand or place to get the work done go and see Murat at Marranos Performance in Croydon. Tell him that Ben Page with the black SS sportwagon sent you and I am sure he will look after you. They used to have a guy by the name of Sonny who was part owner of the business and did the tuning. He is a legend but has gone solo with his own shop. I have stuck with Murat and he told me they have another guy who comes in and does the tunes but is also very good. Sonny did my tune and it turned my car into a weapon, well for my standards anyway lol.

Murat is the type of guy that won't let a vehicle leave his workshop until he is happy that the required work is done properly and personally checks each car as the owner of the business which I fkn love! He found a problem with my vehicle once that one of his mechanics didn't see. This issue could have cost me a shite load down the track but it was only because Murat cross checks his guys work and went under the car with his torch out looking at the block and screws etc. that it was found. You don't get this type of dedication much these days. I trust him with all my cars.

Anyway mate I hope it all works out. If I can be of any help mate, let me know.

Cheers
Benny