Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To buy or not to buy VT II S pac

Miss L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Executive
My VT got totalled so looking for a new one....saw a VT II 1999 s pac...has no roady on it.....manual - i havent tested it yet but the dude selling it (he has had since new full service history) says its slipping out in 4th gear......selling for $5800 clean and tidy.....so my question if only fault is the gearbox...any ideas approx cost reco gearbox and install ?? or just forget the whole thing.....obviously i wouldnt pay 5800 as needs rego and the roady on it.....anyones thoughts ??? thanks :) Miss L

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
My VT got totalled so looking for a new one....saw a VT II 1999 s pac...has no roady on it.....manual - i havent tested it yet but the dude selling it (he has had since new full service history) says its slipping out in 4th gear......selling for $5800 clean and tidy.....so my question if only fault is the gearbox...any ideas approx cost reco gearbox and install ?? or just forget the whole thing.....obviously i wouldnt pay 5800 as needs rego and the roady on it.....anyones thoughts ??? thanks :) Miss L

After you check the cost to supply and fit a reco gearbox and any other repairs needed your going to have to compare the cost against a similar car that doesn't need the repairs, What is the going price for a VT S Pac these days?
IMO I think I would go for something at least VX Series 2 which has the control link rear suspension as it is a big improvement. Also look at the cost of say a VY S pac as they offer a lot of additional extras and refinement.

Miss L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Executive
thanks wortus....i would love nothing more than a vy s but its the old cash problem is a drama....:) i would kill for a purple s vy in fact i would sell a kidney for it...heheheheh :)

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
I would ring around all the local wreckers to find out a rough cost for the gearbox and fitment and then see if the car is worth that. If it's clean and not high kms all the rest. My rough guess would be around 1k . Mine was 750 but that is a vl not a vt :p

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
you can pick up a gearbox for an ecotec pretty cheap. $400ish and another $400 or so to get fitted.

Just for comparison, I got an LS1 auto box for $500 and $600 to fit. And they cost a lot more then v6s autos so you might get out of it for under $800.

Miss L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Executive
good work sleepa.....i might be a chick but i got some smarts about cars......gotta good feeling about this figure if everything else stacks up about it whats a gearbox if i get it the right price and nothing else dodge.....from how the dud describes it it sounds like a tooth off the gear...could be wrong im not a mechanic.....but if i can get away with everything else and then dropping a gearbox in a bit perhaps this is good.....sometimes things go right in Miss Ls world (ps my other vt got written off in 3 car prang with fatal...not my fault but i got minor injs...figure it was an omen to get another car and the one i really wanted )..... :)

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
i got a VT spac thats manual and theres awsome =D as for putting a new box in, theres nothing to it =) if you get a workshop manual and some tools you can do it yourself, i took my gearbox out, put a heavier clutch in and put the gearbox back in within 4 hours, the gearbox's are pretty light, i could pick it up no problem

i'd haggle the price down a couple of hundred but =)

also how many km's on it ?

Miss L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Executive
hey 1FATVT...its $5800 with 182 kms....black *sigh* matches my shoes....and all else seems mint..BUT i still gotta get it tested.....dude seems genuine....lost his lic for xpca so hasnt been driving it...hes replaced the tyres and water pump engine mounts seem ok its a series II also.....no rego so i gotta get a roady to get reg so will find out whats up.....he said it only comes outta 4th sometimes but i dont often use 4th i go from 3rd to 5th if thats what im doing.....im just sus but thats just me....but i figure any car i buy im gonna have to do something to it and if this is it and i get get some cash off it well could work out.....as to me doing it myself...ummmmmmm i love cars and all but i dont wanna wreck my manicure :) and knowing my luck i would fall into the engine bay and get stuck in there or something :)

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
hahahha well lucky the gearbox isn't in the engine bay :p :p :p

try getting it off him for $5600 =) im sure the manicure would work wonders on this bloke :p

there not bad km's at all, and as for it popping out of 4th im trying to remeber what i learnt at tafe ( been a apprentice mechanic is awsome if you remeber what you learn haha ) it could be a syncro or something even simpler, you may not need to get a new gearbox =)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2
hey,ive just bought a vx2 s manual with recond box,fyi,the receipt i got from last owner shows the bill is 2450 inc,it says 'strip box,replace input shaft,all bearings'
hope that helps