Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To repair or Write off

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
7 years after this thread was started.. I am wondering the same

Uncategorized-7.jpg

The 2000 model VT Commodore Station Wagon with less than 200K kms on it. Should it be written off for this little dent and broken headlight lens?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
market value $600, damage $2000 = repairable write off

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
I'd say they'll write it off as a repairable write off. If she still runs well I'd be off to the wreckers and purchase a good guard and bumper and repair it myself.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
OK, since we know the car runs perfectly fine (and it has had an easy life, only 198,000 kms in 17 years) we have bent the damage away from the wheel, that tyre has a slice in it, so we put another set of wheels and tyres on it and we are driving it around. Night time driving might be an issue because the passenger side headlight is pointing at windscreens of oncoming traffic.

The driver at fault's insurance company is going to have a second look at it.

Someone says the market value of our VT Commodore Wagon isn't very much, but I can't find a roadworthy VT Wagon with approx 200,000 km for less than $2000 so I don't see why our car can't be repaired, it is worth more than $2000 to us because we have been driving it for 17 years.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Get a good guard, bumper and headlight from the wreckers and try to straighten it all out. You'll be able to fix it for under $200 if you're mechanically inclined. Heaps of white ones out there.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Yes, but we want them to give us some money to fix it (and for the inconvenience because this is delaying our next leg of our trip). Car is back at panel shop getting a second inspection right now.

The trips back and forth to leave it for inspection are a big enough inconvenience.

I looked up similar VT Commodore wagons with approx 200,000 kms and couldn't find any that were roadworthy for less than $2,000

We definitely need to do a quick repair on our car.

Bought a new headlight, guard on the way. Crowbar ready....

Just need some cash because we spent our trip money on parts and extra time waiting here, mid trip.

PS. After waiting 7 hours on Thursday, the insurer mixed up their messages to their onsite inspector/assessor and they forgot to check out car. We were called to pick it up and bring it home.

Last edited:

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
You'll be able to fix it for under $200 if you're mechanically inclined. .

Thanks,
On closer inspection, there is a bracket that is spot welded to the double skinned front shoulder and all that has been pushed into the plastic reservoir and the aircon gas inlet pipe.

It can be fixed, but not for under $200

A fair bit of cutting and welding required
Aircon regas
Wheel alignment

Those 3 things have already blown that budget

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
IF it's visibly out of alignment there will be more damage than you think. $200 i mentioned was for the panels. But the rest will depend on your mechanical ability I suppose and whether you know how to weld.

If you're paying somebody to fix it, sell the car to a wrecker and buy a newer one. Otherwise repairing isn't economically viable.