Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To VE or not?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Hi guys I currently have a 2001 vx ss manual with a few mods and I'm thinking about trading up to a Ve ss or ssv preferably a manual, is it worthwhile? Any particular issues I should be looking for in the VE?

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
Hi guys I currently have a 2001 vx ss manual with a few mods and I'm thinking about trading up to a Ve ss or ssv preferably a manual, is it worthwhile? Any particular issues I should be looking for in the VE?

I can only throw my 2c worth, I'm sure others will contribute to this post as well.

Things i would look out for:

1. Valve lifter noise - you can be up for big $$$ and is an Achilles heel on Chevy LS engines often requiring a new cam and risking baring damage
2. Clutches in series 1 V8's was a common failure point
3. Oil leaks (they just shouldn't). Rear main seal is a common one
4. Front strut top mounts (you'll see the strut pushing up through the top mounting plate in the engine bay)
5. Door actuators
6. Stereo CD player function failure
7. Folks lowering the car on standard shocks. They will fail. Look for a lowered car with shocks to suit lowered springs

If it was me, i would try and find one that has been over-maintained. No car is going to survive a constant flogging so be picky in your choice as price shouldn't be your main concern with looking at a VE. An extra few $$$ spent on buying a nice, well maintained example will save you money in the long run.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
What about the series 2 manuals? Have seen a 2011 manual ss with 80k kms for a decent price

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
Series 2 manuals have a revised clutch and master cylinder so they're much better. In saying that, if you find a series 1 with a revised series 2 clutch it'll be fine as well.

HSViCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 HSVi Calais 6.0
Engine wise they're identical apart from some revised ECU updates. Drive train identical apart from manual clutch

Interior is revised with some having the mylink infortainment system, different air vent surround etc

Mild exterior styling updates and different wheels

Basically an aesthetic update + the stereo

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Engine wise they're identical apart from some revised ECU updates. Drive train identical apart from manual clutch

Interior is revised with some having the mylink infortainment system, different air vent surround etc

Mild exterior styling updates and different wheels

Basically an aesthetic update + the stereo

IQ not mylink. Apart from a number of issues being sorted out in the Series II it is obviously a more modern car so go Series II if you can.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
What other differences are there between series 1 and 2?

Get a L98 manual, no DOD lifters as such in L77 engines

Had 5 Ve's 3 SS's all series ones and all great cars, check for good service history.

The clutch was a factory recall so all should be done.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
What other differences are there between series 1 and 2?

Being a manual there's not the major difference L98 vs L77 as autos face comparing Series II to L76, apart from L98 has LS2 valley plate vs L77 deactivated VLOM and deac lifters. Good news in that regard is while VE L77 gets revised Delphi lifter that may get noisey they do not fail like the old VLOM sand Eaton combo on the L76.
I'd definitely choose Series II (L77) because finally sorted ECU less OS screw ups / compatibility for tuning, redesigned throttle body and intake manifold, PCV / oil consumption, ethanol flex fuel compatibility, better fuel management (FPCM firmware), high pressure fuel pump, revised a/c unit and HVAC operation, a/c belt tensioner, water pump, bumper / headlights, diff mount, IQ unit, and lot of other stuff in the detail.
Main thing is pre-Series II autos have problems largely rectified with L77 update, so for resale whether manual or auto is tarred with same brush.
L98 has no better cam or sturdier valvetrain than L77, the main advantage would be saving a couple of hundred dollars if you were to swap cams - L98 can swap without lifting heads.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
What about the series 2 manuals? Have seen a 2011 manual ss with 80k kms for a decent price

That's where I think you can get value in an SS - about 5 years old with good Kms - I paid $20,000 for my '09 VE SS 2 years ago - 59,000Km on it. I realise you're in NZ so no doubt dollar figures are different for comparable cars. While I still prefer VE looks externally, but VF interior, I can see myself getting a VF (probably VF II as my last Commodore) in some years time, and a good Km car in that price maybe 4 to 5 years old should be really good value.