Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

too hot??

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
With that clunk, I get that as well when I first start my car. I don't notice it once im on the road because of music but I would also like to know what it is.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Have ya lifted the big hinged door thingy on the front of the car for more than a quick look to see the engine is still there ?

grab hold and shake some bits, while it's stopped of course.

could be a loose starter motor, or any number of things, more data reqd.

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
it seems normal, my vr used to do it, but barelt ran above a quarter when it was moving

Budah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Usually normal for a vr to raise up to 1/2 on the thermo at lights and stopping as u don't have the air flow to cool it while stationary, like the others have said, fans will start to kick in a lower it in a few minutes.

Be careful though. Make sure ur radiator isn't leaking at all. I just got mine replaced as the factory ones in the vr's were prone to thermal shock and started leaking at the plastic edges. Stoping at the lights and seeing the thermo go up to half way and steadily rising is a scary thing... :eek:

Crombie87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ex-Police Commodore Wagon
I Have a similar to you quiksliver1 mine VS heats up to 3/4 before the thermo fan kicks in however when driving never gets above 1/4 on the gauge. My Question is when should the thermo fan kick in and how can i reset or change the temp at which it kicks in?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Sounds like a faulty guage or sender, the thermo should cut in at half way, that being the norm, on the highway the needle should be on the first mark, any more and something is not setup correctly or you have radiator / cap / thermostat problems.
Highway driving at 1/4 is a tad warm even with the a/c on in summer, but not overly hot, it may be just a bad read out.
It's a heat activated switch that turns on the fan, considering it sits a 1/4 while moving it's likely another problem.

Crombie87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ex-Police Commodore Wagon
That makes a lot of sence as i changed the radiator, cap and temostat not so long ago(old one hard a crack in it). Where abouts is the sender? and i will have to check out the gauge as it get stuck at the bottom alot (a little bash fixes that).

Thanks For the Help Digisol.

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
if your temp sensor is faulty, the fan should come on to mid speed after you disconnect it after about 10 sec. Get the gregory's manual, it has it all.

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
digisol said:
Have ya lifted the big hinged door thingy on the front of the car for more than a quick look to see the engine is still there ?

grab hold and shake some bits, while it's stopped of course.

could be a loose starter motor, or any number of things, more data reqd.
omg!! that big thing has a purpose?? sheesh i never would have guessed!! :p
hahaha shake some bits?? ok.. so im not like scared of getting dirty.. but when u spend $200 on a manicure u kinda dont wanna go "shaking things" under the hood.. well i dont anyways!
does any1 no a good mechanic in the western suburbs?? im new 2 the area n being unlicensed means i cant exactly drive 2 my usual mechanic...

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Hmm, I'll try to remember that when I see a woman stuck out bush somewhere with a flat tyre and has no clue to where the spare is hidden, it happens.

Perhaps you might have to break a nail or three, or put up a tent and hope that some kind bugger will stop.