Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Too much fuel

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
They're cheap ebay ones. Recently dismantled and reassembled top end, but were working fine before disassembly.

Couldn't possibly be MAF? Telling injectors to let through too much fuel?
I would fit old injectors as others have suggested. If you still have the problem then it could be maf i.e. in a different location than originally or fitted on a different angle or fitted backwards. Or if you have fitted a larger intake. Air leak after maf.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cheap ebay injectors will cause issues every time. Refit originals and live happily ever after.
Yep, this ^^^^. If wanting to sort original injectors get them cleaned and refit. There's are reason fake Bosch are 1/4 the price of OEM.

jigz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Aren’t the injectors in these engines hot (that is they always have 12v when engine is on) and isn't it the ECU which earths the injector ground wire for them to fire?
If so, and that’s the case in many engines, check your wiring because one of the injector ground wires could have been pinched when stuff was reassembled and thus the injector is always on (and with a 100% duty cycle getting closer towards burning out the injector coil).
Checked the wires, they all look okay. Great info, thanks.

jigz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I would fit old injectors as others have suggested. If you still have the problem then it could be maf i.e. in a different location than originally or fitted on a different angle or fitted backwards. Or if you have fitted a larger intake. Air leak after maf.
Will sort injectors.

Re: MAF.

Just unplugged MAF and started car, idled a little lower and check engine light came on. Looked like more fuel coming out of tail pipe?

Plugged MAF back in and started car, idled a little higher, no check engine light. Looked like less fuel out of tail pipe (still shitloads though)?

With car running, I unplug MAF no noticeable change in engine. When I plug MAF back in, engine surges slightly, and then no noticeable change in engine.

Could it be MAF?

jigz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
They're cheap ebay ones. Recently dismantled and reassembled top end, but were working fine before disassembly.

Couldn't possibly be MAF? Telling injectors to let through too much fuel?
Strange thought:

While working on car, I had plenum chamber and fuel rail sitting upside down in garage (injectors sitting up in the air). Not too sure on internal mechanisms of injectors, but could having them sit upside down for too long cause some kind of valve in there to stay open?

Like I said, strange thought.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Strange thought:

While working on car, I had plenum chamber and fuel rail sitting upside down in garage (injectors sitting up in the air). Not too sure on internal mechanisms of injectors, but could having them sit upside down for too long cause some kind of valve in there to stay open?

Like I said, strange thought.
No. No need to overthink or over complicate. Fit real injectors, then reassess.

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Will sort injectors.

Re: MAF.

Just unplugged MAF and started car, idled a little lower and check engine light came on. Looked like more fuel coming out of tail pipe?

Plugged MAF back in and started car, idled a little higher, no check engine light. Looked like less fuel out of tail pipe (still shitloads though)?

With car running, I unplug MAF no noticeable change in engine. When I plug MAF back in, engine surges slightly, and then no noticeable change in engine.

Could it be MAF?
Maf sounds fine. PCM will fuel more and throw a CEL if maf is unplugged. Just how much is determined if car is either in open/closed loop. I would fit old injectors first. Drive the car for a good 20km's(min) to allow pcm to adjust fuel trims and see if it's any better. If you can get your hands on a good spare working maf or borrow one to try if car is no better after replacing injectors. Also check for any exhaust leaks before 02 sensor.