Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toolkit suggestions for a looooong roadtrip?

CountryPak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
G'day sports fans, I'm curious for any suggestions for what we might find in each others tool kits for long road trips. I've got a list already of my own but also wondering what everyone else might include.

Cheers.:thumbsup:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I always carry a spare serpentine fanbelt, 4 litres of clean water, duct tape, flat and phillips screwdrivers, 12V air compressor and tyre pressure gauge, long nose and normal pliers plus a set of metric rings and finally an adjustable spanner. I should carry a tow-rope and a set of decent jumper-leads but am getting lazy. The spare should be new or near new as its your last one!
I've found that carrying all these items guarantees that my car doesn't need them....but plenty of times I've used them on other peoples cars.
Luxuries are a mobile phone, membership of the RACQ/NRMA and a bit of spare cash.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
electrical tape and hose clamp, will seal a small hole or split in a radiator hose to get you to the nearest servo or town etc. i normally carry my work toolbox in the boot anyways thats got a full set of spanners and screw drivers, pliers etc. i also carry a spare serpentine belt if it's a long trip. an alternative to carrying a spare is to put a wire from the front of the engine block (through the belt) to somewhere on the thermo fan shroud. should the serpentine belt come off you won't loose it

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Mobile phone.

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Extra pair of hands and a few cans of Red Bull.

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I always take a few important spares on remote/long trips. 10 litres of drinking water (Per person), hoses top/bottom radiator, radiator cap, odd moulded hoses, belts and of course at least a meter of heater hose. Hose clamps, joiners for heater hose to bypass heater if it blows, plugs for them if needed, heater tap, heavy gauge electrical wire, solder and something to melt it (Lighter), a couple of relays (For lights), electrical tape, fuses, can of bars leak, a couple of wire coat hangers, fuel line, fuel filter, plastic sheet for a window if you break one, oils and brake fluid. A bar or two of soap as when it is mushed up with a bit of sand this can be used to plug up a leaking fuel tank short term or a fuel tank patch kit. A few spare screws, nuts and bolts. Super glue, a tube of liquid steel, spare fuel cap and finally some metho in case you get water into your fuel.

As far as tools go you should have a spare wheel brace or a socket and bar that fits, a simple electrical test lamp, a second jack incase you need to raise the car to get it out of a hole before your standard unit will fit, pieces of steel or heavy plywood big enough to go under your jack incase you need to lift the car on soft ground. A hacksaw or small hand saw with spare blades. All this in addition to a simple tool kit spanners, pliers, screw drivers and may be a spark plug socket.

You should fit all of the spares into your boot behind the wheel arch so they wont take up too much room. I keep a spares kit like this in all of my cars as they will be there when you need it and when you do you wont have to buy them.

Have a good trip
Daza

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I always take a few important spares on remote/long trips. 10 litres of drinking water (Per person), hoses top/bottom radiator, radiator cap, odd moulded hoses, belts and of course at least a meter of heater hose. Hose clamps, joiners for heater hose to bypass heater if it blows, plugs for them if needed, heater tap, heavy gauge electrical wire, solder and something to melt it (Lighter), a couple of relays (For lights), electrical tape, fuses, can of bars leak, a couple of wire coat hangers, fuel line, fuel filter, plastic sheet for a window if you break one, oils and brake fluid. A bar or two of soap as when it is mushed up with a bit of sand this can be used to plug up a leaking fuel tank short term or a fuel tank patch kit. A few spare screws, nuts and bolts. Super glue, a tube of liquid steel, spare fuel cap and finally some metho in case you get water into your fuel.

As far as tools go you should have a spare wheel brace or a socket and bar that fits, a simple electrical test lamp, a second jack incase you need to raise the car to get it out of a hole before your standard unit will fit, pieces of steel or heavy plywood big enough to go under your jack incase you need to lift the car on soft ground. A hacksaw or small hand saw with spare blades. All this in addition to a simple tool kit spanners, pliers, screw drivers and may be a spark plug socket.

You should fit all of the spares into your boot behind the wheel arch so they wont take up too much room. I keep a spares kit like this in all of my cars as they will be there when you need it and when you do you wont have to buy them.

Have a good trip
Daza

wow, and i thought i was over kill. obviously you have taken a leaf outa the jaguar hand book, i think they actually carry spare heads just incase you need to rebuild on th side of the road. i can see however that in the outback you kinda wanna be a little prepared