Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tools for cam change

H

harrop.senator

Yep they sometimes work and sometimes don't, it's hit and miss. No use spending $100 on one though as they can be bought at SCA cheaper for a Toldeo one.
I've actually also found that Toolpro or SCA brand can't remember which are exactly the same as Toledo. I don't know for sure if they are the same but they sure as look identical.

I don't think I've ever spent over $30 on one lol.

H

harrop.senator

yeah, im picking up a set of heads and upgraded crow cam valve springs on sunday and will be porting them.

If not already fitted or bought don't buy crow. Get some 1219 pac or some comp beehives , machine the guide and seat base for the lift unless staying low lift.

Also why no blower if going to this much trouble? Cheap to wack one on. Do all the same work and you're talking another 100 or so rwhp and a lot more torque.

Klajd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
If not already fitted or bought don't buy crow. Get some 1219 pac or some comp beehives , machine the guide and seat base for the lift unless staying low lift.

Also why no blower if going to this much trouble? Cheap to wack one on. Do all the same work and you're talking another 100 or so rwhp and a lot more torque.
Hard to find a l67 near me. Plus arent cheap where i live.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
By the time you fit a cam you may find an $1800 L67 including PCM, will be cheaper, even if you have to ship one up from Brisbane.

H

harrop.senator

A guys got heads , fuel rails and a lower intake manifold with all bolts for $400 in Logan.

Supercharger and top tensioner/dfi module holder will only be another $250-400.

Top swapping plus a healthy cam is more then fine with a tune on an l36.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All you need is one of these puller kits
SCA_12533_hi-res.jpg

The problem is non of these kits have the correct size bolts to suit our V6 motors. The other issue is the threads in the balancers are normally full of crap and need cleaning out. If you only put the bolts in a few turns you will pull the threads out and stuff the balancer. The other trick is to put a long bolt down the front of the snout of the balancer so the tip of the puller doesn't get stuck in the threads of the crank snout. If you get it stuck in there you are in a world of hurt.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep they sometimes work and sometimes don't, it's hit and miss. No use spending $100 on one though as they can be bought at SCA cheaper for a Toldeo one.
I've actually also found that Toolpro or SCA brand can't remember which are exactly the same as Toledo. I don't know for sure if they are the same but they sure as look identical.
Toledo are much higher quality

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
And yeah 1/4unf from memory. Sometimes you’ll need to run a tap through to clean up the threads. They accumulate grime and can rust up too.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Toledo are much higher quality
Are they definitely not just a rebadge? I sometimes buy Toledo as I get trade on Toledo tools. But in saying that I bought three specialty Toolpro tools from SCA when they had 60% off and I looked at Toledo and the Toolpro were visually identical, except the plastic case they go in. Toledo are my first choice generally, as I can get them cheaper that SCA's sales price on the same item.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Are they definitely not just a rebadge? I sometimes buy Toledo as I get trade on Toledo tools. But in saying that I bought three specialty Toolpro tools from SCA when they had 60% off and I looked at Toledo and the Toolpro were visually identical, except the plastic case they go in. Toledo are my first choice generally, as I can get them cheaper that SCA's sales price on the same item.
It depends... there’s no hard and fast rule.

Some products may be identical, but the vast majority are very different. You’ll notice the lower quality tools are made in China and the better quality tools are made in Taiwan.

The Taiwanese toolpro sockets and socket sets are very good.