Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tools

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn vacationer auto v6 sedan
This is sort of a follow on from a previous thread,i am trying to remove the intake manifold from my vn/s1 , the bolt heads are too big for a 9mm socket and to small for a 10mm, is it possible that some parts/bolts/screws are non metric?, possible since the engines were U.S. designed and i think they didnt go metric till about the mid 70's,anyhow can anybody help ?, thanks........

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I think they are an imperial size, a 3/8 spanner fits my manifold bolts nicely.:thumbsup:

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
It could be possible, but i think it should be all metric, are you using a 12 point 10mm, because they have a tendency to slip a bit on tight bolts, try a 6 point socket, they bolt could be a little worn, if this don't work then try a 3/8' socket which is between the 9 and 10 in imperial.

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for reply,just dug out an old impy tool set and your right 3/8, wierd all the other bolts were metric !!,has anybody else come across this where a car has diferent types of fasteners., thanks.........

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
sounds liek theyre worn, the vn-vr manifolds ive done were 10mm, even the american manifold ive got was 10mm.

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just wondering how they could be worn ,gee in the cars whole life they should only have been off 1 or 2 times and only tightened up a few pounds!,but then i said should have didnt i !.........

3800VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX V6
nar they are 3/8's your not crazy and thats not with cheap tools its with snapon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
You are right and all these other guys ( except 3800VH ) are wrong. From working extensively with Mazda for a very long time and from meanderings to European and US cars, ALL and not some or most but ALL other cars I have ever worked on, use consistently either metric or imperial, my recent discovery is that my VP Commodore quite frustratingly have found the need to use both. At least you get to have double the tools, sometimes even for the same job!

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
yeah you should always have an af set, even a cheap one.
comes in handy
but you dont really newed a few, like 1/4 - 19mm
3/8 - usually do with a 10 unless tight of a soft grade fastner
9/16 - sometimes do with 15???
but you get what i mean
if your a backyader, you dont need the whole AF set

some cars i have worked on are all over the job imperial here metric there. its a real bitch tryign to guess a bolt size!