Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Total Noob Audio Questions

stevenj48

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina S2
hi

i am doing first install of sub amp into my berlina series 2 vt wagon i just wondering about wiring the speakers
sorry if its a dumb question but i have for speakers in my doors how do i wire them to the amp do i install separate wires on each one?

also with the amp power i have ran the positive through the firewall where do i connect to on the amp as i have no manual for it
its a audioline AL-2150 there are 3 connection for power input as follows

GND REM B+ i assume GND is black (Negative) and B+ is Red (Positive) is this correct if so what is REM?

and also the fact that is is two channel only can i even hook speakers and subs up at the same time?

thanks

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Rem is remote wire. Comes off your head unit. Basically tells the amp to turn on when the head unit is on.

stevenj48

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina S2
ok so i take it that is the blue one then

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Dude your in the wrong section, but anyways...

You can't run both a sub and a pair of speakers of a 2 channel amp. Your amp can be used for either of the following -

Running 2 full range speakers (i.e one pair)

Running one subwoofer when both the left and right channels are bridged together. For this you need to know that firstly the amplifier is able to run in "bridged" mode, and secondly that the impedance load presented to the amp from the subwoofers voice coil configuration is suitable.

Lastly you can run 4 speakers if the amplifier if stable at 2 ohm on both channels. This is achieved by wiring 4 ohm speakers together to halve the impedance level, though this is very rarely done.

The "REM" wire ( sometimes reffered to as a trigger wire) is always blue, and it stands for remote wire. Your head unit will have it's own remote wire, also blue. This is responsible for turning the amp on and off , and must be connected for the amplifier to power on once you turn on your head unit. You'll also need to connect power, earth, and also provide audio signal to the amp either via low level RCA or by using the amplifier's high level inputs.

So basically you have the choice now of either powering the sub with the amp and using the head unit's in-built amplifier to drive your speakers, or powering your speakers and leaving the sub out until later.

If you like i can provide you with a wiring diagram if your unsure, but before i do that i would need the exact list of components you are using.

BTW, we've had two incidents today all ready so remember to disconnect your battery before doing any thing. I must be disconnected first, and then re-connected last.

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Thanks for going into more detail HCVP. Was half asleep when I posted :)

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
HCVP, im wiring up 2 cadence x1 subs and amps and have already installed h/u and speakers so dont worry about those. Was just wanting;

1. A step by step guide of what to do
2. Where to get all my wiring from and will more expensive/better wire make a difference to sound

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
if your running the sub off the 2 chan amp make sure u bridge it..

first run your 12v wire (with inline fuse) close to the battery, that will run from the battery to the boot where the amp is, put that on the + on the amp

with the ground all you have to do is get a cable, put it on a good metal aera in the boot, and put it on -

remote wire runs from the head unit to the amp basically tells it to turn on and off so its not constantly sucking ur battery

rca's go from the back of your unit to the amp, they are like a normal headphone plug kinda just push in, their will be a spot on the unit, then do it to the amp.

then just your cableing from the amp to the sub 1+ and 1-

you cant run speakers off the same 2 channel amp you will either need a 4 channel or a 2chan and a monoblock? (correct me if im wrong)

here is a good diagram.

wiring-two_sub.jpg

ignore the second sub in the pik

your wiring kit will be cheapest off ebay.
its were i got mine and i havnt had a single problem for 2 years..

Car Kit 4 Gau Amplifier Wiring Fuse Audio Sound Cable | eBay