Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Touring Tyre Recommendations

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I'm trying Bridgestone REO03s atm and really happy with them so far.
I have RE003s on the Monaro.
Don't have much advice regarding wear, as they don't wear out in the garage, but have noticed that they flatspot in cold weather, and some road surfaces are noisy, more pronounced than the RE001s previously.
Cant ever bring myself to do the buy three get one free thing. Only two tyres are ever worn at one time and in need of replacement. I’d have to give up two tyres that still have a decent service life left in them!
Do the one for free deal, fit two, and put two away for a later date with your invoice noted that the remaining 2 will be fitted whenever ??

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Thank you to all who have provided comments and recommendations. I should have added budget up to $350 per tyre and I currently only need two tyres and another very important item I consider is if a tyre does not have a rim around the bottom edge of the wheel to protect the wheel somewhat I will not consider the tyre. I am not sure what you call it. Fortunately I have a good tyre supplier and more importantly installer who I have been very happy over a period of time.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think $350 each should get you something decent. I have an idea this was around the price when I last looked.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
If touring is what you're after get yourself a set of Bridgestone serenity plus. I had them on all my cars I've owned until I needed a more performance tyre for the v8.
You will not regret it. Good grip and excellent life.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thank you to all who have provided comments and recommendations. I should have added budget up to $350 per tyre and I currently only need two tyres and another very important item I consider is if a tyre does not have a rim around the bottom edge of the wheel to protect the wheel somewhat I will not consider the tyre. I am not sure what you call it. Fortunately I have a good tyre supplier and more importantly installer who I have been very happy over a period of time.

The item you\re describing is called a rim protector....It's a piece of rubber on the sidewall of the tyre that sticks out just past the rim....

Best of luck with your choice

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Michelin PS4 rim protector.

20220528_115136.jpg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
the one that gives me the most confidence is the Pirelli.
What version of P Zero are you using? I've never really used one but I did notice several different tread patterns all called P Zero's. The only thing I've heard against Pirelli is they're a bit narrow for the size, not the widest of a particular size apparently?

The best dry grip tyre I've used on the road are Michelin Cup 2's, brilliant when warm but they throw some rocks at the car being very sticky. I'd avoid them to minimise stone chips if that level of grip isn't necessary.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What version of P Zero are you using? I've never really used one but I did notice several different tread patterns all called P Zero's.
Yes when they first came out … the original P-Zero was designed for the F40 or Testarossa on release wasn’t it? … but yeah when they first came out P-Zero was a model, but it’s become a product-line & there are various models of P-Zero. I think Pilot used to be the same for Michelin (but probably not released in a big marketing explosion like the P-Zero).

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Bridgestone have their 4 for 3 deal on this month.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Bridgestone have their 4 for 3 deal on this month.
Mmm, I thought the Bridgestone Turanzas were pretty good if you can still get them. A little bit harsh on the 19 inch rims, but got 60,000Kms out of them. I replaced them with the Michelin SP4s, which are a little less harsh but probably a little more grippier. Only done 13,000Kms so far, so hard to tell yet how they are wearing.