Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towbar for Sportwagon

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Can remove silver locking bolt. Just helps to stop any rattle if towing.

Yeah thats a good idea, mine doesnt have that but will have to organise it.

Yours doesn't stick out as far as mine, but no doubt it's what you do with it that counts.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Holden put the locking bolt vertical from the bottom. That's where I would be drilling and tapping as you don't see it.

Hughsey

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 MY 10 SV6 Sportwagon
Yeah good idea to get the locking bolt.
Phillmac, with the bolt removed you don't notice the small hole. I believe they position on top so there's less chance of it moving or falling out while towing. I've since changed the bolt to a smaller all black one just for that cleaner look. Even although I won't be towing too often, I don't want it rattling around.

Hughsey

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 MY 10 SV6 Sportwagon
PIR4TE - maybe i should have put similar photos to yours but I'd say it sticks out a similar distance.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Can remove silver locking bolt. Just helps to stop any rattle if towing.

Noice Sportwagon. The lock nut and bolt on my Hayman Reese 2100kg bar is underneath so doesn't look that conspicuous. Anyway I removed the bar and stowed it for when needed. that way you can just install the rubber GM cover which looks neat enough.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Phillmac,

Didn't read your post before mine. Doh.

"PIR4TE - maybe i should have put similar photos to yours but I'd say it sticks out a similar distance. "
Freud was right! Stop thinking with your tow bars boys.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Cool
I like to leave my bar and ball in place so if a turkey ever rear ends me I can at least laugh at the hole in the front of his car.
Pir4tes would prob punch right through the back of their radiator.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Had mine done at Salisbury Towbars in Adelaide
DSC_2057.jpg

Locking bolt is underneth, hole in SHS tube for pin and r clip amd lugs for the shackles

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Got the usual after market bar paint job I see. Used to hate taking them off just to re-paint them myself.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I had the wiring supplied and fitted a few weeks ago for $125.00 and it took about 15 minutes. Another towbar fitter did quote around $250 for the same job.
Already had a towbar fitted to the wagon when I purchased it last year, but their was no wiring.
Was told the previous owner may have only used it for transporting bicycles etc. and did not need the wiring done.

I can supply the details of the installer if anybody in SA is looking for a bar or wiring to be done.

The Holden wiring kit alone costs that much money. There is a place near me that does towbars, when I was looking around for one I asked about the Holden wiring kit. They said they don't use it and just wire it in. They had their own kit which comprised the socket and a length of cable and some of those joiners to connect the wiring for $15. They said they have never had a problem wiring VE's this way. I did buy the $15 kit and intended to install it, but before I did I decided I'd prefer genuine Holden kit so bought one of those kits and fitted it myself. I am sure your $125 job would not include a Holden kit, if the $250 quote included the genuine Holden kit you are getting what you pay for. My reasoning for paying the extra is I like genuine parts, and car manufacturers like to build cars as cheap as they can. When you look at the wire gauges they are very thin looking and I am concerned that running extra lights on a trailer will be drawing more current through the standard wiring than normal. Might not be a major problem for say indicators or brake lights that aren't normally on for long periods, but the side lights/ tail lights maybe on for some time. In my case I have a 6 metre caravan which has 13 lights in all that come on when your parking or headlights are switched on (the van has 4 white lights on the front, three marker lights on each side, and the normal 2 tail lights and the number plate light, even if you say these lights are just 5 or 6 watts each, that's at least 65 watts for 13 of them which is about 5.5 amps, not huge but what is the current rating of the tail light wiring in the car? Of course another approach with the van if I didn't use the Holden kit would have been to change all the lights to LED's current would then only be about 1 amp for all 13 lights.

Edit - my car is a sedan, but I presume there is a similar or the same Holden wiring kit used in the wagon.