Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towbar installation

vsdeath

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Sedan
Hi there..

I have got this beautifull (like new) original vs/vr towbar from my favourite wrecker. One piece is the towbar itself and the other piece is a long plate triangle shaped. Anyone know how to fit these in?

The man said it's piss easy, I just have to drill some holes under the carpet in my boot, then bolt the big plate in there to hold the towbar... Thing is, the shape of it kinna matches lenghtwise but it does not fit very snuggly with the shape of the bumps at the bottom of the boot... Like not really centered.. So does it really matters?

And it is a bit strange that a towbar has to be attached to the body.. It would make more sense to me if it was attached to the chassis. No?

Any input is welcome.

towbar.jpg

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I know this isn't much help, but the towbar in the pix is nothing like the one I have fitted to my non-inderpendant rear end VS. Mine is rated to 2300kg and has a compliance plate fitted...has a very heavy brace that goes under the fuel tank and then up behind the rear seat plus a very solid bracket that goes behind the bumper.
If what you have in the pix is the complete towbar, then maybe it's only designed for towing a very light trailer.

Mattrob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina
I've got the same one you pictured. The long bit goes under the carpet in the boot, Drill holes to suit. The tow bar part goes under the car where the holes come out. Mind the fuel tank. You should have a couple of spacers for the long bolts at the back to go through the rear chassis.

vsdeath

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Sedan
hako:
naah man.. if it's supposed to be an original holden additional part it would be met to be tough enough to pull a trailer within the legal limits.

The thing is that most vs I have seen has a differant towbar than this one, probably the one you have too. My wrecker will be laughing at me but I might have to take it back to swap it with the same one you got. Did you fit it in yourself?

vsdeath

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Sedan
I've got the same one you pictured. The long bit goes under the carpet in the boot, Drill holes to suit. The tow bar part goes under the car where the holes come out. Mind the fuel tank. You should have a couple of spacers for the long bolts at the back to go through the rear chassis.

Would you be able to take a few pictures for me..

Mattrob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina
Got a couple of photos. how'd you get them up?????

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
you need to either host them somewhere like imageshack or upload them to the server here using the uploader in the "advanced" button thing. after you click advanced, scroll down till you see the manage attachments button, click that and you know the drill.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
hako:
naah man.. if it's supposed to be an original holden additional part it would be met to be tough enough to pull a trailer within the legal limits.

The thing is that most vs I have seen has a differant towbar than this one, probably the one you have too. My wrecker will be laughing at me but I might have to take it back to swap it with the same one you got. Did you fit it in yourself?

My owners manual describes the 4 different types of towbars ranging from type A to tow a max of 200kg to type D (2100KG) - maybe yours is the type A. When I bought mine I'd heard stories about Commodores stretching when used for towing and that you had to get one with a brace to prevent this. So I got the biggest which apart from costing the most was also the heaviest....at least 50KG.
In the end it depends on what you want to tow - if it's just a box trailer to go to the dump then a type A....but if a caravan then go for a heavier one.
Another thing I was told was that if the towbar must have a compliance plate fitted so the owner knows how much he/she can safely tow.