Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towbar question, boring but important

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
G'day, want to fit a tow bar set up to the Statesman. Going to go the second hand option and fit myself. Question is: is the commodore set-up different to the long-wheelbase versions? I'm kinda guessing it is but also kinda hoping it's not as the Commodore ones are plentiful. Thanks.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would think they will be different. Hope for your sake they are the same as low spec models.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
It just occurred to me that a VE wagon bar might be compatible. I really should just just ask the Google.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
It just occurred to me that a VE wagon bar might be compatible. I really should just just ask the Google.

Looking on ebay, they list Statesman towbars, but no mention of other compatibility, so I thinking the Statesman bar is unique.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I had noticed that but i've seen a few say to fit wagon/Statesman/Caprice but they may just be guessing. I also see the new ones come with an ECU interface for the lights wiring. Why on earth I don't know.

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
Maybe ask a towbar supplier ?

RazzleDazzle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VX Commodore
Why go secondhand, towbars are cheap as chips and they'll even wire it up for you.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
problem with 2nd hand crap is that it my have been used and abused by the pervious owner , buy a 2nd hand towbar you may not get the right brackets and spacers to fit it correctly or as it was designed and engineered too .

As a lot of people believe they have a towbar and can pull the titanic or their 22 foot caravan behind their Barina , continued overloading of ball weight or trailer weight can result in damage to either or both the vehicle and towbar .

For the piece of mind and the extra dollars would recommend a new towbar any day and fitted by a professional , and have the towbar inspected on a regular bases for loose or missing bolts or any signs of fatigue in the towbar or vehicle floor pan or chassis rails .

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
True, but some of the 'professionals' I've seen fitting tow bars unsupervised in tow bar joints does worry me somewhat!
The correct wiring harness allows your reversing sensors to switch off when reversing with a trailer hooked up, and controls the indicator flash rate with different types of trailer lights fitted.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
True, but some of the 'professionals' I've seen fitting tow bars unsupervised in tow bar joints does worry me somewhat!
The correct wiring harness allows your reversing sensors to switch off when reversing with a trailer hooked up, and controls the indicator flash rate with different types of trailer lights fitted.

I agree with you about some of the installers out there , but is it really worth risking towing a valuable boat or caravan or race car with a crappy 2nd hand towbar that was installed by someone with little experience at all just for the sake of saving afew dollars .

worse case scenario the tow bar disconnects from the tow vehicle and plows the trailer thru another car causing death all because the vehicle owner decide to make it fit or fit it his way ignoring the advice or instructions if any given or supplied ........ the " she'll be right mate attitude " have and do see this from time to time where towbars are cut up and poorly modified by some back yard DYI guru ...