Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towbar shop wants to hard wire my towbar ????

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
All the talk on here has said you can't just jump the wiring off the tail lights like the old models and you have to buy the Genuine harness from Holden for VE's.
The shop says they always just do it the normal way....

Is that BS, anyone done this or got a bar from somewhere that doesn't use genuine harness ? Should i just tell them to fit the bar only without wiring and go get a genuine harness

Last edited:

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
The harness has its own modual to control flash rate If the trailer has led lights and to recalibrate ESP for when there is a trailer attached

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
hmmm ok so it seems you can get away with the old school method but in the end you could get caught out one day when the boat overtakes the car round a bend or something...
they told me the only issue they were aware of is the rear parking sensors, and i don't want to bugger them up either.

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
id get them to just put the tow bar on and get the harness urself its a plug and play harness that stays in the boot when not in use

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Buy the proper harness, we constantly get issues with dodgy wiring done by towbar fitters. Witht he genuione harness you plug it in and no cutting of wires is done at all.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
^
as I was scrolling down this is what I was going to type....

what's the price difference for a legitimate one mate? i'd rather spend a little extra and know I got one that works exactly as intended.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
yeah i agree i just have to spend another $120 ish i think on the genuine harness. Plug and play is the way to go.
Bar is fitted now so off to Holden i go.

VNSSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5ltr
Guys on here make me laugh. I posted this not long ago with a bar from caresel. Fitted it myself and left wiring information on the how to section. I have towed lots since and no problem. Learn to research bro.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
HaHa, good luck to you, i have fitted towbars myself and done the wiring on older dinosaurs but i'm not going there with the VE. Unfortunately i do have the parking sensors which complicates things a bit more. I also like my ESP to work properly ! Not real happy with the shops fitting skills though, I could have done a better job myself and NOT lost as many bits !!

VNSSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5ltr
It's criminal how much they charge just fit them. Anyways the place you bought the towbar from are best for price!