Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towbar wiring harness?

forrest1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Omega
i was surprised on the price of the holden parts i had to buy for my car no were near the price i was expecting the price i had from a auto wreckers was more than the brand new one from my local holden dealer fantastic

WhiFi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Just wanted to relay a good experience I had with genuine parts today. I had been thinking of getting a towbar on my VE SV6 for a while. I bit the bullet this morning. First stop was my local Pedders. For a Hayman Reese towbar (Up to 2100kg), tongue, tow ball and harness/loom I was quoted $1350 fitted. The guy said it would take 3 hours, and loom would be soldered in.

Following reading this post, I figured it would be worth comparing $ with my local Holden dealer parts shop. Factory bar (up to 2100kg) incl tongue, tow ball, fascia/escutcheon (to dress the hole in the bumper), and tow ball cap all for $527 (The guy did trade price for me cos I was buying the whole kit). He suggested I get a quote from the service dept to fit the parts, so I did and they said it would be 3 to 3.5 hrs at $150 per hour. So $450+.

I went back to buy the parts and when I got them home had a look to see what was what, and if I needed to get help with fitting. Each part came with full, easy to follow instructions. Wiring harness plugged in line with the taillight loom (no fiddly soldering). So I thought I would give it a crack. So glad I did. All I needed to borrow was a torque wrench from my neighbour, other wise with basic tools, and an extra pair of hands to help at the odd moment, I had the whole thing done in 4 hours. Saved myself $450! I took my time, but had fun doing it.

Don't assume Holden parts are too expensive, in this case I was pleasantly surprised.

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brunette, 5-10', 10D's, great personality
As above. My local dealer has the full 1650kg removable hitch with everything for $450- a few hours in the garage and done deal. The harness on its own from memory was closer to $70 on its own

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
They quoted 3-3.5 hours? Can be done in half that!!

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
just rang my local Holden dealer: they have the wiring harness for a VE towbar ... for $159.70
seems a bit expensive, compared to others mentioned above.

and Raff: where is that dealer for $450, please ?

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
just rang my local Holden dealer: they have the wiring harness for a VE towbar ... for $159.70
seems a bit expensive, compared to others mentioned above.

and Raff: where is that dealer for $450, please ?

In melbourne mate, Ferntree Gully Holden

c904e44e.jpg

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey Shorty, you wanna pick one up for me too ? Suttons quoted me about $850 just for all the parts. They said there was no tow bar kit, so i'm gonna call em back and quote that part number above and see what they tell me. Raff, where did you cut that price from ?

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
From the Ferntree Gully Holden website! Under their 'special offers/parts special' banner. I bought mine months ago and checked today and the special is still running

chamilton122

Reaction score
Members Ride
'08 60th Anniversary VE Omega (Duel Fuel)
hey was just after some opinions, i have bought a second hand tow bar and I'm looking to do the wiring for the lights now, holden have informed me that the ECU needs to be reprogrammed in order for it to work with the reverse sensors. where as it seems above a lot of people have just plugged them in and away they went?

a bit of clarity would be appreciated

Thanks in advance