Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing a Falcon with a VR V6

MaXiLeeCH

irc.WorldIRC.org boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Series II Berlina
As the ford weighs pretty much the same as the dunnydore, it would be illegal for either car to tow the other in any state.
Max towed weight is not to exceed the towing vehicles weight at all.
(In fact, in most states the max towed weight is to be no more than half the towing vehicles weight.)

Hope this helps,

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
how typical... the ford needs towing.. lol

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
My statesman is only an ecotec V6 and is fitted with the factory approved GMH tow bar (nothing special) and its rated @ 2,100kg (brakes trailor).

I had to do a scrap run for a mate so loaded up the trailor with a nissan skyline and took it in for him. Statesman with 4 people on board, full tank of fuel the trailor and the skyline came to a total of 4.1 tonne. (4120kg to be exact).

Towed it exceptionally well and brakes worked equally as well.

Go the V6, just make sure you have a tow pack fitted which incluides the auto cooler. (saved my auto quite a few times).

ORIGINL

THE REAL DEAL #22
Reaction score
Website
www.v8commodores.com
Members Ride
HDT VN AERO #22
Its illegal to tow the falcon with a commodore due to the weight of the commodore.

Check with your local roads authority, but i think you will find that you will need atleast a Hilux/Cruiser and the trailer will need to have independant braking too..

Check with your roads authority....

Koontz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Illegal?

I have HD tow pack on my VS rated to 1600KG. Thats heavier than the car. There was a super HD which took it to 2100KG, bit overkill for what im towing. But heres an extract from TSA. I would suggest the regulations are similar in other states.

- So yes your could tow the falcon with the VS (in SA) if you put it on a trailer with brakes, see below.

Towing Mass Limits

The maximum mass that can be towed by a vehicle is dependent upon a number of criteria. The loaded mass of a trailer or caravan must not exceed:
1 The rated capacity of both the tow bar and tow coupling .
2 The towing mass specified by the vehicle manufacturer , or the GCM* (Gross Combination Mass) specified on the vehicle's registration certificate.
NOTE: The manufacturer of the towing vehicle may specify two different towing limits for the towing vehicle, depending on whether the trailer is fitted with brakes or not.

No Manufacturer's Specifications?

If the motor vehicle manufacturer has not specified a maximum towing mass and a GCM* is not specified on the vehicle's registration certificate, the rules below apply. These vary according to the trailer's braking system.
*For a trailer fitted with brakes directly operated by the driver, the mass of the trailer must not exceed 1.5 times the unloaded mass of the towing vehicle.
*For a trailer fitted with Over-Ride/Over-Run brakes not directly operated by the driver, the mass of the trailer must not exceed the unloaded mass of the towing vehicle.
*For a trailer not fitted with brakes the mass of trailer must not exceed the unloaded mass of the towing vehicle or a GTM* (Gross Trailer Mass) of 750 kg , whichever is the lesser.
Trailer Braking Regulations:

Trailers must be fitted with brakes if the GTM* exceeds 750 kg.
Over-Ride/Over-Run brakes are acceptable up to a GTM* of 2 tonnes.
Where the GTM* exceeds 2 tonnes the braking system must be fitted with a breakawaysystem that causes the brakes to be applied if the trailer becomes disconnected from the towing vehicle.
Note: These braking regulations apply within the towing mass limits detailed above.

This information was sourced from information supplied by Transport SA.

cracker

Reaction score
if ur going to
id have the auto serviced and get a good trans cooler put on and a generl service would be nice,

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i towed the vh on a trailer with the vs. it was a whole 10 kms and it wasnt' a fun experience. you have very little breaking, and the whole thing it prone to moving back and forward with a massive thump which shakes the whole car, which can't be good.

it was so unfun i'm thinking of relocating the vh to a shed closer to the speedway track so we dont' have to go through it as much every time.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Yep Vh Holden Is Right. Maybe In S.a But Nomad Is From Victoria. Anyway Would You Tow A Semitrailer Even Though Your Towbar Was Rated At 3000000000 Kgs?