Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing car trailer on P's?

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Hey guys, I'm on my green p's an I'm just curious if I can tow a car trailer or not?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
•Have P plates (green P on a white background) displayed conspicuously at the front and rear exterior of the car when driving. The letter P on the plate must not be hidden. If towing a trailer, a P plate must be on the back of the trailer.

i would assume from that you can.
same ruling as vic in that regard.

howpever i believe in NSW you have some crazy law on trailer sizes and weights and so forth.
ill edit if i find that info
EDIT: ok so i could only find that sizes for P1 in NSW which states this:
P1 Towing – You are allowed to tow light trailers up to 250 kilograms unloaded weight

so by assumption of it not being under P2 rulings that would mean you can tow anything as long as P Plates is on back of trailer.

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
thanks for the info, ive been looking an havent found much info on it, but i fould that on P2 which im on, there isnt anything regarding towing? im going into the rta monday to rego my car anyway, so ill just ask then, i was just curious

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
good idea.

also the RTA are pretty good with replying by email. (their call centre always seems blocked up)
sent them an email and 3 days later got a reply about driving on vic p's in NSW (you follow your own states laws was the response, unless on L's)
whereas im still waiting on a response from vicroads like 10-11 months later. (which i doubt will ever come back)

and have fun towing =P

and side info for those in Vic. you can tow on red p's in Vic as long as you have a full licenced person in the car.
while on greens you can tow whatever whenever.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Just call your local cop shop to get a better response. They should know because they're the ones who will pull you over it.. :p

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Yeah cop shop was gonna be next thing, I'm not needing it yet, but looking for a project car, just wanting to sort a few things out first

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Just for assurance, you can tow once you're gotten onto greens.

But you can also tow while on red's with a superviser.

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
You can Tow a trailer in NSW with P's but i beleive the limit is 250ks..
p1 drivers have a limit of 250kg but p2 can go all out!

P2 drivers must:
Have P plates (green P on a white background) displayed conspicuously at the front and rear exterior of the car when driving. The letter P on the plate must not be hidden. If towing a trailer, a P plate must be on the back of the trailer.
Not exceed zero blood alcohol concentration (this means you cannot drink before driving).
Provisional (P2) driver licence

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I actually emailed the RTA about this same question not long ago, specifically I wanted to tow my Dad's boat (15 foot bowrider).

This is what I got back:

Dear Mike

Thankyou for your email.

A holder of an unrestricted or provisional P2 car licence may tow a single trailer in accordance with the mass limits for light vehicles. The requirements of any law in force in relation to the mass limits for combinations of light vehicles must be met.

So provided the trailer is legal to tow on a C-class vehicle, you're fine.