Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing jayco swan or similar with vf sedan.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
3.6L with only a 4 speed auto? VE with 3.6L were 5 speed. Did you have an Evoke or Berlina with a 3.0L?
For MY 9.5 and earlier VE, 3.6 was 4 speed auto in Omega and Berlina, 5 speed in SV6 and Calais. MY10 onwards are 6 speed regardless of engine with the exception of LPG which retained 4 speed auto.

Thof

JR Sen
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY13 VF SSV sedan - Phantom
3.6L with only a 4 speed auto? VE with 3.6L were 5 speed. Did you have an Evoke or Berlina with a 3.0L?
Anthony, our VE was mid 2009, just before the SIDI was engines come in. Our VE was the Omega “International” wagon, very happy with the 6 and only 4 cogs...

Thof

JR Sen
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why the bloody hell did I put Nicholas in there?... I’m gunna have to start drinkin’ more when I post... no F7 on an iPad...

tg68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais v sedan
tg68, my experience with our 94 Jayco (AGM 1060kg’s) Eagle was over 8,000 km’s behind an my9.5 VE sport wagon, 3.6 L and a 4 speed auto. Towed very well, tow kit was dealer fitted (new when I bought the car) and a 2100kg unit with a Hayes electric brake controller. Worked very well together and can’t say enough how good electric brakes are. Our trip from home to Burleigh Heads and back returned about 14.5 L/100km. As I ordered the vehicle new, I got FE2 suspension pack added. No other mods needed and certainly not an equalising Nicholas. Can’t remember tow ball weight... about 150kg’s ish... Damn nice car our VE wagon, Only reason i sold it is because I wanted the new VF SSV... and it’s only towed a 6x4 a handful of times :-/
Thanks

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
tg68, my experience with our 94 Jayco (AGM 1060kg’s) Eagle was over 8,000 km’s behind an my9.5 VE sport wagon, 3.6 L and a 4 speed auto. Towed very well, tow kit was dealer fitted (new when I bought the car) and a 2100kg unit with a Hayes electric brake controller. Worked very well together and can’t say enough how good electric brakes are. Our trip from home to Burleigh Heads and back returned about 14.5 L/100km. As I ordered the vehicle new, I got FE2 suspension pack added. No other mods needed and certainly not an equalising Nicholas. Can’t remember tow ball weight... about 150kg’s ish... Damn nice car our VE wagon, Only reason i sold it is because I wanted the new VF SSV... and it’s only towed a 6x4 a handful of times :-/
The 3.6 4spd combo might be a bit average but for towing I find it great, dual fuel Berlina, maybe it's the extra torque of the lpg but pulls a load well, any 5 or 6 SPD seems to changes gears to much towing.

Thof

JR Sen
Reaction score
Members Ride
My mate just after I bought our VE international, got his SV6 (October 2009) with the 6 speed auto, he lives in the city and a constant “observation” / complaint was the continuous hunting of gears, otherwise he was happy with the car, he seen the light tho, and bought a MY14 SSV...

Thof

JR Sen
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry tg68 n all, I reckon I’m wrong with my Jayco towball weight. From my very rudimentary understanding, a van has “about” 10% of its gvm as towball mass (so my Jayco will be about 100kg ish). Vehicle manufacturers detail exactly what can be towed and respective ball weight... (hmmm). Caravan forums are a good source of user experience too. I should pay more attention as we’re getting a new van...

tg68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais v sedan
Sorry tg68 n all, I reckon I’m wrong with my Jayco towball weight. From my very rudimentary understanding, a van has “about” 10% of its gvm as towball mass (so my Jayco will be about 100kg ish). Vehicle manufacturers detail exactly what can be towed and respective ball weight... (hmmm). Caravan forums are a good source of user experience too. I should pay more attention as we’re getting a new van...
What van are you getting, and what are you towot with?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
My mate just after I bought our VE international, got his SV6 (October 2009) with the 6 speed auto, he lives in the city and a constant “observation” / complaint was the continuous hunting of gears, otherwise he was happy with the car, he seen the light tho, and bought a MY14 SSV...

Yes, the 6 speed 3 litre my friend had for a couple of years did tend to "hunt" for a gear.
My 4 speeder with 3.6 engine never does that, but seems to be more positive.