Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

towing on lowered springs or coilovers

RavenSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0 litre
i want to lower the SS, but don't want to lose towing capabilities (up to 2 tonne). given that coilover kits are generally sports focussed, and lowering springs (like kings etc) have a tendency for softness is it advisable or not?

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I would have thought that if the car was too low it would effect the towing ability as the front end of the trailer would be lower than the front.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I've been toying with the idea of lowering myself whilst still towing, but as stated above, go too low and you'll have issue. I was thinking of low springs with air bag load assist in the rear.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Regardless of ride height, there are ADR's determining the load capacity of springs, and aftermarket springs must still have the same capacity as factory. Generally, lowered springs are heavier.

Just get a tongue to bring the towball height back up to the correct height (450mm to top of towball) and you should be good.

speijers

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac
u can get heavy duty lowered springs too i tow my dirtbikes on ultra low only thing i gotta do is swap the wheels on the back back to the standards 15s to avoid scrapage